While Rockchip RK3229 SoC has a pretty weak processor (4x Cortex A7) and GPU (Mali-400MP2), its media capabilities are very good for the price, as it can handle 4K video playback of 10-bit H.265 @ 60 fps, as well as 10-bit H.264 @ 30 fps reasonably well based on my experience with Zidoo X1 II. However ,so far all RK3229 devices I’ve seen ship with 1GB RAM, which may be fine for video playback with Kodi using the default skin, but may be a limiting factor if you have higher requirements. R-BOX fills the void in the market by being the first RK3229 TV box with 2GB RAM for just $35 including shipping.
- SoC – Rockchip RK3229 quad core ARM Cortex A7 processor @ 1.5 GHz with ARM Mali-400MP2
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash + micro SD slot
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K2K @ 60 fps, and AV output (composite + stereo audio)
- Audio Ouput- HDMI, AV, and optical S/PDIF (TBC)
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 host ports including one OTG capable
- Misc – IR receiver, built-in microphone, power button, reset pinhole, front panel LCD display
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – N/A
It adjusted the specs with data from GeekBuying, because they must have been in a Friday rush to update the page, as since their are some item that are clearly wrong: HDMI 1.4b, 4x USB ports… and some doubtful such as Gigabit Ethernet and optical S/PDIF (since there’s no such connector in the rendering above).
Previous RK3229 TV boxes would all run Android 4.4, but GeekBuying and an Amazon seller both report R-BOX to run Android 5.1 with a custom version of Kodi 16.1, with the Android version confirmed in the screenshot below. The device ships with an IR remote control, an HDMI cable, a power adapter, and a user’s manual.