There was a time when most TV boxes would run Android operating system for mobile with lots of modifications to make it suitable for the big screen, except for a few models that would run the official Android TV operating systems. But things are now changing, with announced from Geniatech, WeTek, and others all announcing certified Android TV set-top boxes and media hubs.
We’ve even been told Amlogic will now only provide Android TV SDK from now on with no support for “normal Android”, and the good news is that inexpensive TV box running Android TV will become common place, and one of those devices, MECOOL M8S PRO W is the cheapest I’ve seen so far going for $37.99 shipped with coupon DSJMVRWB (pre-order)
- SoC – Amlogic S905W quad core ARM Cortex-A53 processor with penta-core Mali-450MP3 GPU @ 750 MHz
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash + micro SD card slot up to 32GB
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.0a output, 3.5mm AV port (composite + stereo audio)
- Video Codecs – [email protected] H.265, MPEG1/2/4, H.264, HD AVC/VC-1, RM/RMVB, Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6 , RealVideo8/9/10
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- Misc – IR receiver, front panel LCD display
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 10.20 x 10.20 x 2.10 cm
- Weight – 110 grams
Beside Android 7.1 OS, the device is also said to be preloaded with Kodi 17.3, and StbEmu app making it compatible with most MAG25X IPTV stalker protocols. The device ships with a voice remote control, a power adapter, a HDMI Cable, and a user manual.
There are some reviews of MECOOL M8S PRO W on the web, but all the ones I’ve checked run “normal” Android 7.1, while the page on GeekBuying mentions “Android TV 7.1” several times and even show Leanback launcher, so the firmware must have been updated. It’s also worth noting only the “M8S PRO W with voice control” shows “Android TV 7.1” as the operating systems, and other option with the voice remote control only seems to run “Android 7.1”, and are already for sale instead of pre-order.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|