Although many can support Ubuntu or other Linux distributions, most Intel based products ship with some version of Windows by default, and the end users may have to install Linux by themselves.
While watching a Computex 2018 video on Armdevices.net, I found out FayTech, a company specializing in the design, development, manufacturing and marketing of touchscreen monitors & PCs, showed a 15″ Touch PC powered by an Intel Celeron J1900 “Bay Trail” processor and running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
So I had a look on the company website, and the 15″ capacitive touch PC (FT15J1900W4G64GCAP) showcased in the video – embedded at the end of this article – comes with the following key features and specifications:
- SoC – Intel Celeron J1900 quad core processor @ 2.0 / 2.4 GHz with Intel HD Graphics; 10W TDP
- System Memory – 4GB DDR3L-1333 via 1x SO-DIMM slot, expandable to 8GB
- Storage – Industrial 64GB SSD, 2x SATA 3Gbps ports
- 15″ LCD panel with 1024×768 resolution (4:3 aspect ratio)
- Brightness – 300 cd/m²
- Contrast – 700:1
- Typical reaction time Tr/ Tf – 8/12 ms
Visual Angle horizontal/vertical- 160°/160°
- LED Backlight Lifetime – 30,000 hours
- Projected Capacitive 10-point Multitouch
- IP65 (front) / IP40 (back) ingress protection rating
- Video Output – VGA or DisplayPort up to 1920×1200
- Realtek 887 8-channel high definition audio codec, audio Amplifier EUA 2012A
- 1x S/PDIF Out (1x Cinch, 1x Torx module)
- 1x MIC-In & EAR-Out
- Networking – 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports via Realtek RTL8111G chipset, WiFi via mPCIe card + two SMA antenna connectors
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 3x USB 2.0 ports
- 2x COM port Full-pin (RS232/485; 5V/12V)
- 2x COM port 3-pin (RX, TX, GND; RS232/485 switchable)
- 8x In/Out GPIO on RJ45 connector
- 2x Mini Card slots with PCIe and USB interface (2x Full Height/Half height changeable)
- 1x PCIe x1 straddle connector
- Misc – Power LED; 1x Button-Line with On/Off + 4 GPIO-buttons on front panel
- Power Supply – 12V DC input (screwable); 100-240V ACDC active switching
- Power Consumption – Typ.: 17W; idle: <1W
- Dimensions – 35.16 x 27.56 x 6.15 cm (rubber front case, aluminum IPC back case)
- Weight – 3.4 kg
- Temperature Range – -10 ~ +60°C
- Humidity Range (RH) – 10% – 90%
The main computer is connected to the display using a VESA 100 mount. The touch panel PC comes pre-installed with Ubuntu 16.04 by default, but it also supports Windows 7/8/10, and other Linux 32-bit and 64-bit distributions.
Faytech Ubuntu Touch PC ships with a power supply, a stand, a WLAN antenna (only one?), a drivers DVD, and a Quick Installation Guide.
You’ll also find a 21.5″ V40 Embedded PC at the end of the video running Android 4.4 + Linux 3.18 on what should be Allwinner V40 processor.
Faytech actually offers three different models of their Intel Celeron J1900 Touch PCs with 15″, 15.6″ and 17″ LCD panels, and as one should expect prices for industrial / embedded systems are quite higher than for consumers devices, as all three Ubuntu Touch PCs sell for around $1,000.