AAEON’s UP Core is an affordable and compact Intel Atom x5-Z8350 based board that was launched last year on Kickstarter for 69 Euros and up. The company has now integrated the board into at least one of their product with UPC-GWS01, a tiny IoT gateway with WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, as well as support for optional 3G/4G LTE connectivity via a mini PCIe slot. A carrier board for UP Core also added Ethernet and a DB9 serial port to the setup.
- SoC – Intel Atom x5-Z8350 quad core Cherry Trail processor with Intel HD 400 graphics
- System Memory – 1GB/ 2GB/ 4GB onboard DDR3L-1600
- Storage – 16GB/32GB/64GB eMMC
- Video and Audio Output – 1x HDMI port
- Gigabit Ethernet via Realtek 8111G
- WIFI 802.11 b/g/n @ 2.4 GHz (WiFi 4) and Bluetooth 4.0
- Optional 3G/4G cellular connectivity via mPCIe socket
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 host port
- Serial Port – 1x COM port (DB9 connector)
- Power Supply – 5V/4A via power barrel connector
- Dimensions – 91 x 67 x 55.2mm
- Gross Weight – 350 grams
- Temperature Range – 0°C ~ 40°C
- Operating Humidity – 10% ~ 80% relative humidity, non-condensing
- Certification – CE, FCC Class A
The device supports Windows 10, Linux (UbiLinux, Ubuntu, Yocto), and Android 6.0. One advantage of getting a products based on a community board is that you benefit from the public hardware and software documentation made available in the Wiki, as well as the support forums.
While UPC-GWS01 is promoted as a “Tiny IoT gateway system”, the HDMI port means it could also be used for multimedia applications where 2D/3D graphics and/or video playback are required such as digital signage.
Four models are currently available with different RAM and storage configuration, all selling with an external WiFi antenna. The 5V/4A power supply is sold separately as an option. Pricing has not been made public, so you’d have to request a quote via the product page if you are interested in such solution.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|