SEI Robotics has showcased a new device at CES 2019 that looks like a smart speaker, and SEI 520 is indeed a smart speaker with Google Assistant support, but it also adds a digital TV tuner and a quad-core Cortex A53 processor running Android TV 9.0 operating system to allow you to watch live TV, and stream videos.
- SoC – Quad core Arm Cortex-A53 processor, possibly Amlogic S905X2
- System Memory – 2GB RAM
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash
- Video Output – HDMI up to 4K UHD
- Video Decode – VP9 and H.265/HEVC
- Output – HDMI audio + optical S/PDIF
- Input – Far-field microphone
- Speaker – No technical details provided
- Connectivity – Ethernet, 2T2R MIMO WiFi, Bluetooth 5.0
- Tuner – DVB-S2X/T2/C, ATSC, ISDBT
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 2.0 port
- Misc – IR blaster
- Power Supply – 12V DC via power barrel jack
The device will ship with a remote control including a microphone button and can be used as a soundbar while playing videos. SEI 520 is said to be certified and support for ChromeCast and Google Assistant. The marking “SecQre” on the bottom of the speaker likely means it will also work with SecQre Android app for home security and automation.
That’s all we know for now, and availability and pricing information is yet to be announced. There’s a product page, but you won’t find much more details at this time. In may be worth mentioning that SEI Robotics is the company behind Google ADT-2 Android TV Dongle for developers, so there’s always a chance SEI-520 becomes an official Google product.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|