The first Android 9.0 TV boxes appeared a few months ago in some Rockchip RK3328 based models, Amlogic also showcased Android 9 Pie in S905X2 / S905Y2 TV box reference platforms, but so far I don’t think I had heard about Android 9.0 for Allwinner processors.
But GeekBuying and Aliexpress are now listing Wechip / Tanix TX6 Allwinner H6 TV box previously launched with Android 7.1, with Android 9.0 Pie instead for $39 and up.
Here’s a reminder of Tanix TX6 hardware specifications:
- SoC – AllWinner H6 quad-core Arm Cortex-A53 processor up to 1.5 GHz with Mali-T720MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 4GB DDR3
- Storage – 32GB eMMC flash, micro SD card slot up to 128GB
- Video Output – 1x HDMI 2.0a up to 4K @ 60hz with HDR support
- Audio I/F – HDMI, coaxial S/PDIF
- Video Playback
- H.265/HEVC Main/Main10 profile @ level 5.2 high-tier up to 4K @ 60fps / 6K @ 30 fps
- VP9 Profile 0/2, up to 4K @ 30fps
- H264/AVC BP/MP/[email protected], MVC, up to 4Kx2K @ 30fps
- MKV, MP4, Blu-ray ISO, 3D MVC…
- SmartColor 3.0 image optimization engine
- Connectivity – 10/100Mbps Ethernet, dual band 802.11b/g/n WiFi (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz) 2×2 MIMO and Bluetooth 4.1 with internal + external antennas
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 ports, 1x USB3.0 port
- Misc – IR receiver, front panel display
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 10.5 x 10.5 x 2.5 cm
- Weight – 180 grams
The TV box ships with an IR remote control, an HDMI cable, a power adapter, and a user manual. The updated Android 9.0 is combining with the existing ALICE UX launcher.
If you already own Tanix TX6, I’d assume an OTA update might do the trick, but if not, you could always download H6_9.0_4Gddr_8822bs_20190114 firmware and install it from a USB flash drive.
Nobody has reviews of Tanix TX6 with Android 9.0 Pie just yet, but reviews with Android 7.0 (here and there) are generally positive, except for the limited 10/100Mbps Ethernet, “old” Android 7.0, Netflix limited to 480p, and YouTube to 1080p.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
Linux version 4.9.118 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.9.3 20150113 (prerelease) (Linaro GCC 4.9-2015.0 (gcc version 4.9.3 20150113 (prerelease) (Linaro GCC 4.9-2015.01-3) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT
HOW did you update it ? i got the .img file, but can’t update it from any windows tool ?
Ok i could do the update… what’s sad is that it’s still Android and not Android TV.. and as such it thinks it’s a phone. 🙁
I didn’t. I extracted the boot.img and looked at the kernel version.
AllWinner H6 can render a 4K openGLES surface?
No 4K video, a 4K accelerated app or a 4K webview?
This type of processor can normally render 4K video on a 4K hardware buffer, but the graphics stuff are limited to 1080p. It might be possible to render a 4K OpenGL ES surface (TBC) but performance might not be good enough.
And you know any ARM CPU good enough for 4K openGL grapics?
I’m looking for an android TV box for a 4K opengl accelerated application (not a game)
Android side tell me always that available resolution is just fullHD (but screen resolution is [email protected])
NVIDIA Tegra TX1 found in NVIDIA Shield Android TV box.
Dears, How to connect SPDIF Port. By selection the Audio Out in settings, there is no light emitting in the port.
I have a Alfawish allwinner H6 that is bricked . would this firmware work? As I can see both boxes seem to have identical specs and processors