There are plenty of sub-$200 Intel powered fanless mini PCs, but if you’re looking for AMD models it’s more of a struggle. Vnopn K1 is one of the rare low cost fanless AMD mini PCs, and the good news is that it’s sold for just $133.68 on Aliexpress plus a few extra dollars for shipping.
There are few tricks to achieve this low price. First that’s a barebone model, and if you want memory, storage, and WiFi, the cost climbs to $168.67 with 2GB RAM, and a 32GB SSD. The 8W AMD A6-1450 quad core
processor APU found in the mini PC is rather old as well since it was launched in 2013, or almost 6 years ago.
- APU – AMD A6-1450 quad core “Jaguar” processor @ 1.0 / 1.4 GHz (Turbo) with 2MB L2 cache, Radeon HD 8250 GPU; 8W TDP
- System Memory -2GB, 4GB, or 8GB via SO-DIMM slot(s)
- Storage – Optional 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, or 256GB SSD
- Video Output – HDMI and VGA ports
- Audio – 3.5mm speaker and microphone jacks, digital audio via HDMI
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, optional WiFi/Bluetooth module
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 ports, 4x USB 2.0 ports
- Misc – Power button and LED, Kensington Lock
- Power Supply – 12V/3A or 12V/5A
- Dimensions – 157 x 107 x 25 mm
Usually, AMD processors with integrated graphics roughly match equivalent Intel processors when it comes to CPU speed, but provide much better graphics performance. PassMark CPU benchmark gives an idea about the latter, and AMD A6-1450 is right between Atom x5-Z8350 Cherry Trail processor and a more recent Pentium N4200 Gemini Lake processor.
It’s harder to find 3D graphics benchmark to compare AMD A6-1450 / Radeon HD 8250 to Intel HD graphics used in Cherry Trail / Apollo Lake processors. However, Liliputing found a comparison against Intel UHD 600 graphics found in more recent and slightly more expensive 6W Gemini Lake processors (e.g. Celeron N4100). The Radeon HD 8250 GPU can’t quite keep up with Intel UHD 600 in G3D mark rating. We do have 3DMark benchmarks for Intel Celeron N4100 (Fire Strike : 335 points) and Pentium N4200 (Fire Strike: 267 points) mini PCs, so AMD A6-1450 graphics performance may be just slightly lower than the one for the Intel HD Graphics 505 found in the Pentium N4200 Apollo Lake processor.
Looking at Vnopn website, the company appears to mostly focus on providing thin clients, and Vnopn K1 is also sold on Newegg for $140.99 with 2GB RAM, a 16GB SSD, and a WiFI module as a thin client with support for PCoIP/Citrix Protocol.