In recent years, companies like GPD and One Mix have launched tiny laptops with 6″ to 7″ displays. Those have the advantages of being ultra-portable, yet delivering pretty good performance thanks to Intel Kaby Lake-Y, Gemini Lake, and Amber Lake processors. Size can also be an inconvenient, even if your eyes are good enough for the tiny screens, the keyboard does not allow maximum productivity for most people.
GPD Pocket 2 Max mini laptop should improve on this as its 8.9″ display is still small by laptop standards, but it should be more readable, and the keyboard will also be larger.
Pocket 2 Max specifications:
- SoC – Intel Core m3-8100Y dual-core/quad-thread Amber Lake processor @ 1.1 / 3.4 (Turbo) GHz with Intel UHD Graphics 615; 5W TDP
- System Memory – 8GB or 16GB LPDDR3 RAM
- Storage – 256GB to 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
- Display – 8.9″ display with 2560×1600 resolution
- Video Output – HDMI up to 4K @ 60 Hz
- Connectivity – Dual band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi 5
- Camera – 2MP (1600×1200) webcam
- Battery – 9,200 mAh battery
- Dimensions – 206 x 148 x 5.5 to 1.8mm thickness (magnesium alloy shell)
- Weight – 680 grams
The mini laptop / 8.9″ ultrabook will be actively cooled, and ships with Window 10 Home 64-bit. We only have blurry shots of marketing materials, because the company has yet to provide details on their website or Facebook page, and instead they are showcasing the new mini laptop at ICEE Moscow. Pocket 2 Max is expected for Q2/Q3 2019 at a yet to be determined price.
If you are interested in this form factor, CHUWI minibook is another upcoming 8″ mini laptop which should be cheaper (and slower) with an Intel Celeron N4100 Gemini Lake processor.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|