With RK3328 SoC, Rockchip already has a quad-core Arm Cortex-A53 processor with an Arm Mali-450MP GPU, more exactly a Mali-450MP2 GPU. However, that GPU was found to underperform the penta-core Mali-450MP3 GPU handling graphics in Amlogic S905X processor.
If that listing on Aliexpress is correct, it appears the company has made another quad-core Cortex-A53 processor with the same penta-core Mali-450MP3 GPU as found in the Amlogic processor. [Update: The description is wrong, and RK3318 GPU is not faster, so it must be the same (TBC). RK3318 is just a cost-down version of RK3328, but details have not been provided]
The new Rockchip RK3318 processor can be found in Wechip X88 Pro TV box with the following specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3318 quad-core Cortex-A53 processor @ 1.5 GHz with penta-core Arm Mali-450MP3 GPU @ up to 750 MHz
- System Memory – 2 or 4GB RAM
- Storage – 16, 32 or 64GB eMMC flash, microSD card slot up to 32GB
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0a output up to 4K 60Hz with HDR support
- Audio Output – Via HDMI and AV ports, optical S/PDIF
- Video – 4K HDR H.265 and VP9
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, dual-band 802.11 b/g/n WiFi 4, no Bluetooth
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 2.0 port
- Misc – IR receiver
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions & weight – Who knows…
The box runs Android 9.0, and ships with a remote control, a power supply, an HDMI cable, and a user manual. Now the features of Rockchip RK3318 look exactly the same as RK3328
except for the faster GPU which may actually be quad-core or penta-core depending where you look in the description. At first, I thought it was a mistake, but all photos are shown with RK3318, and I could also find the box on WeChip (Shenzhen JoinWe Electronics Co)’s Alibaba store. So I guess that’s real after all.
WeChip X88 Pro sells for as low as $25.59 for the 2GB/16GB version, while the 4G/32GB model goes for $34.99, and the 4GB/64GB variant for $37.99. All prices include free shipping, and those are pre-orders with shipping expected for May 25.