Microchip / Atmel SAMD21 Arm Cortex-M0+ microcontroller has been around for several years, and we covered various boards based on the MCU include the official Arduino Zero launched in 2014, Arduino Tian, and the tiny SAM 15×15 or Exen Proto boards among others.
Another SAMD21 development board has now shown up on Electrodragon website: SAMD21 Mini Development Board sold for $14.50 on the website, but you’ll also find it, under the RobotDyn or Wemos brand on Aliexpress for $7.05 and up.
- MCU – Microchip ATSAMD21G18 Arm Cortex-M0+ microcontroller @ 48 MHz with 32KB data RAM, 256KB flash
- USB – 1x micro USB port for power and programming
- 2x 14-pin headers with 19x digital I/O (including 12x PWM), 6x Analog I/O
- 3.3V logic level
- Programming – 6-pin ISCP connector
- Misc – Power, Tx and Rx LED’s, button
- Power Supply
- Input – 5V via micro USB port or VIN
- Output – 3.3V-800mA (However, it reads 3.3V/180mA on the silkscreen)
- Consumption – 3.3V @ 220mA
- Dimensions – 56.5 x 18 mm
- Temperature Range – -40°С – +85°С
Both Wemos D1 SAMD21 M0 Mini and RobotDyn SAMD21 Mini boards appear to be identical except for the branding on the bottom of the board. There’s not an awful lot of documentation made available from any of the sellers but luckily, BLavery tested the board late last year and documented his experience with Arduino and CircuitPython on Github.
Thanks to Zoobab for the tip.