We covered Rockchip RK3399K processor a few months ago, as a version of RK3399 processor qualified to run at 2.0 GHz, or supporting a wider-temperature range (-20 to +85°C) at 1.8 GHz.
We found out about the new processor, as Kobol was working on a Helios64 SBC designed for NAS that featured RK3399K SoC. At the time, we just had a drawing of the board and some specifications, but now the company has announced pre-orders for the board and a complete 5-bay NAS kit will start next week and the actual shipping start in March.
- SoC – Rockchip RK3399K hexa-core processor with 2x Arm Cortex-A72 cores @ 2.0 GHz, 4x Cortex-A53 cores @ 1.6 GHz
- System Memory – 4GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 16GB eMMC 5.1 flash, 5x SATA 3.0, 1x M.2 SATA slot shared with one SATA 3.0 port, MicroSD port
- Connectivity – 1x 2.5GbE port, 1x Gigabit Ethernet port
- USB – 3x USB 3.0 ports, 1x USB Type-C port with DP (DisplayPort) and DAS (Direct Access Storage) modes
- Expansion – Headers for I2C, UART, SPI, GPIOs…
- Misc – 2x PWM fan headers, RTC with backup battery, buzzer
- Power Supply – Dual DC inputs, built-in UPS support with optional battery.
- Dimensions – 120 x 120 mm (nano-ITX form factor)
The board will ships with a large heatsink as shown above. There’s no mention of OS support in the currently empty Wiki, but we should expect Debian and Armbian support.
Kobol’s first product, Helios4 NAS SBC, would optionally ship with an acrylic enclosure which kept cost low, but it was not necessarily the most eye-pleasing design.
So the company has come up with a much nicer design for Kobol Helios64 enclosure as shown above.
- Support for up to 5x 3.5” SATA HDD
- Hot-Plug HDD Tray System
- Integrated Control Panel
- 1x USB 3.0 Port
- 2x 80mm PWM Fans
- Dimensions – H 134mm x W 222mm x D 250mm
All necessary cables as included with the case.
The company also plans to offer an adapter kit to install Helios64 SBC in any mini-ITX tower to recycle old PC cases.
Prices for the board, enclosure, accessories, and complete kit are as follows:
- Helios64 SBC with heatsink – $189
- Helios64 enclosure – $95
- 12V/10A Power Adapter – $14
- UPS battery pack comprised of Panasonic Cell NCR18650BD – $12
- Helios64 Full Kit with all four items above – $295 – Pre-order price: $285 until March 2020
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.