Compulab IOT-GATE-IMX8 is a Debian Linux powered fanless Industrial IoT gateway powered by NXP i.MX 8M Mini processor and specially designed for industrial control and monitoring with optional support for WiFI 6 (802.11ax), Bluetooth 5.1, 4G LTE, and GNSS connectivity.
The gateway is equipped with up to 4GB RAM and 128GB eMMC flash, takes variable DC input from 8V to 36V, and operates in a wide temperature range of -40C to 80°C with the company providing a 5-year warranty and 15-year availability.
Compulab IOT-GATE-IMX8 specifications:
- SoC – NXP i.MX8M Mini quad-core Arm Cortex-A53 processor @ 1.8GHz with Arm Cortex-M4 real-time core, Vivante 3G and 2D GPU
- System Memory – 1GB – 4GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 4GB – 64GB eMMC flash (soldered on-board), plus
secondary storage with optional 16GB – 64GB eMMC flash module
- Networking & Wireless Connectivity
- Gigabit Ethernet port, RJ45 connector
- Fast Ethernet port, RJ45 connector
- Optional 802.11ax WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 BLE via Intel WiFi 6 AX200 module
- Optional 4G/LTE CAT1 cellular and GPS/GLONASS GNSS via Simcom SIM7600G module and on-board micro-SIM card socket
- USB – 3x USB2.0 ports
- 1x RS485 (half-duplex) / RS232 port via terminal block
- Option for up to 2x isolated CAN-FD/RS485/RS232 via terminal-block connector
- Debugging – 1x Micro USB port for serial console via UART-to-USB bridge
- 1x mini-PCIe socket, full-size used by WiFi/BT module if “WB” option is present
- 1x mini-PCIe socket, USB only, full-size used by cellular & GNSS module when “JS7600G” option is present
- Expansion Connector for add-on boards with 2x SPI, 2x UART, I2C, 12x GPIO; Expansion modules offered:
- 4x digital inputs + 4x digital outputs, isolated, terminal-block connector
- Up to 2x CAN-FS/RS458/RS232 as described in Serial section
- Security – Secure boot via i.MX8M Mini HAB module
- Misc – RTC + on-board coin-cell battery; Power button with LED; user button, reset pinhole
- Power Supply – Unregulated 8V to 36V
- Power Consumption – 2W – 7W, depending on system load and configuration
- Dimensions – 112 x 84 x 25 mm (Aluminum housing)
- Weight – 450 grams
- MTTF – > 200,000 hours
- Temperature Range
- Operating – Commercial: 0° to 60° C; extended: -20° to 60° C; industrial: -40° to 80° C
- Storage – -40° to 85° C
- Relative Humidity – 10% to 90% (operation); 5% to 95% (storage)
The company provides either mainline Linux or the full NXP Linux BSP with support for Debian Linux, Yocto Project, and U-Boot, as well as Docker and Microsoft Azure IoT, and OTA updates using Mender. You’ll find hardware and software documentation in the Wiki and product page.
In its minimum configuration, Compulab IOT-GATE-IMX8 industrial IoT gateway is priced at $114 for 1k orders. Compulab is one of the most transparent embedded company when it comes to pricing as you can check out the Pricing and Ordering section on the product page to find out how much each option costs, and the impact of volume on pricing.
If you wish to evaluate the solution, the company provides IOT-GATE-iMX8 Evaluation Kit with a 2GB RAM, 16GB+16GB eMMC flash, and all wireless connectivity options, accessories such as power supply, antennas, and mounting brackets, as well as 45-day support for $545.
Thanks to Michael for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.