Qualcomm launched Snapdragon 855, the company’s first 5G mobile processor, in December 2018, before following up the next year with Snapdragon 865, 765, and 765G 5G mobile platforms still targetted to higher-end and premium smartphones.
Qualcomm has now introduced its first 5G mobile SoC part of the mid-range Snapdragon 600-series with Snapdragon 690 5G octa-core processor featuring Cortex-A77 and Cortex-A53 cores, and a Snapdragon X51 5G modem delivering up to 2.5 Gbps download speed.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 690 5G (SM6350) specifications:
- CPU – Octa-core Qualcomm Kryo 560 CPU @ up to 2.0 GHz, specifically 2x Cortex 77 cores @ 2.0 GHz and 6x Cortex-A55 cores @ 1.7 GHz
- GPU – Qualcomm Adreno 619L GPU with support for OpenCL 2.0 FP, OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.1, and DX12 APIs
- DSP – 2x Qualcomm Hexagon 692 with Qualcomm Hexagon Vector eXtensions (HVX), Hexagon Tensor Accelerator, Qualcomm Hexagon Scalar Accelerator
- Qualcomm Sensing Hub – Ultra-low-power hub for audio, voice, and sensors
- Memory Support – 2×16-bit LPDDR4x up to 1866 MHz, 8 GB RAM max
- Storage – It must be confidential, but UFS is probably supported.
- On-Device Display – up to FHD+ @ 120 Hz
- External Display – up to QHD @ 60Hz
- HDR10+, HDR10, up to 10-bit color depth, Rec2020 color gamut
- Qualcomm Spectra 355L image signal processor, 14-bit, 2x Image Signal Processor (ISP)
- Dual Camera up to 16 MP+32MP at 30 fps
- Single Camera up to 192 MP
- 4K HDR video capture
- Slow Motion Video Capture: 720p @ 240 FPS
- HDR10, HLG, HEVC, Rec. 2020 color gamut video capture, up to 10-bit color depth video capture
- Codec – H.265 (HEVC), H.264 (AVC), VP8, VP9
- Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec up to Qualcomm WCD9385
- Qualcomm Aqstic smart speaker amplifier up to Qualcomm WSA8815
- Qualcomm Aqstic audio technology
- Qualcomm Hexagon Voice Assistant Accelerator
- Qualcomm Snapdragon X51 5G Modem-RF System
- Technology – HSPA, WCDMA, TD-SCDMA, CDMA 1x, EV-DO, GSM/EDGE, LTE including CBRS support, 5G NR
- Spectrum – Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS), sub-6 GHz
- 5G sub-6 GHz specs – 100 MHz bandwidth, 4×4 MIMO
- Peak Speed
- Download – 1.2 Gbps (LTE), 2.5 Gbps (5G)
- Upload – 210 Mbps (LTE), Up to 660 Mbps (5G)
- Multi-SIM features: Global 5G multi-SIM
- Performance Enhancement Technologies – Qualcomm 5G PowerSave, Qualcomm Smart Transmit technology, Qualcomm Wideband Envelope Tracking, Qualcomm Signal Boost adaptive antenna tuning
- FastConnect 6200 Subsystem
- 802.11a/b/g/n, 802.11ac Wave 2, 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, 8-stream sounding (for 8×8 MU-MIMO), WPA3 security support, Target Wake Time
- Bluetooth 5.1 with aptX Adaptive Audio, Qualcomm TrueWireless Stereo
- Near Field Communications (NFC)
- GNSS – Beidou, Galileo, GLONASS, dual-frequency GNSS, NavIC, GPS, GNSS, QZSS, SBAS
- USB – USB 3.1, USB-C via DisplayPort Alt Mode support
- Biometric Authentication (Fingerprint, Iris, Voice, Face)
- Features – Camera Security, Crypto Engine, Key Provisioning Security, Malware Protection, Qualcomm Content Protection, Qualcomm Mobile Security, Qualcomm Processor Security, Qualcomm Trusted Execution Environment, Secure Boot, Secure Token
- Charging – Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology
- Process Technology – 8 nm
The CPU, GPU, DSP, and sensing hub complex is referred to as the “Qualcomm Artificial Intelligence (AI) Engine” since all blocks are leveraged for AI acceleration, with the company stating a 70% uplift in AI performance compared to the previous generation Snapdragon 675 processor. Snapdragon 690 also get a 20% boost in CPU performance, and up to 60% faster graphics rendering.
Mid-range 5G smartphones based on Snapdragon 690 are expected in H2 2020 from companies including HMD Global, LG Electronics, Motorola, SHARP, TCL, and Wingtech. Visit the product page for additional details.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|