Earlier this year, we covered some video analytics solutions based on AAEON UP Xtreme Edge embedded computer combining an Intel Whiskey Lake processor with Intel Movidius Myriad X AI accelerator modules, as well as video management & analytics software solutions from Milestones & SAIMOS, or aotu.ai BrainFrame.
iWave Systems has now introduced a similar solution with Corazon-AI gateway capable of handling up to 8 IP cameras in real-time, but instead of relying on AI accelerators, the company leverages Xilinx Zynq Ultrascale+ Arm Cortex-A53/R5 FPGA MPSoC for AI inference.
Corazon-AI gateway specifications:
- SoC – Xilinz Zynq Ultrascale+ ZU2, ZU3, ZU4 or ZU5 MPSoC
- Processing System (PS)
- Quad/Dual Arm Cortex-A53 @ 1.5GHz, dual Cortex-R5 @ 600MHz
- Arm Mali-400MP2 GPU @ 677MHz
- H.264/H.265 Video Encoder/Decoder
- Programming Logic (PL)
- Up to 256K Logic cells
- PL GTH Transceivers x 4 @ 12.5 Gbps
- Processing System (PS)
- System Memory
- 64bit, 2GB DDR4 with ECC for PS (upgradable)
- 32bit, 1GB DDR4 for PL (upgradable)
- Storage – 8GB eMMC Flash (upgradable), EEPROM for MAC Address, optional MicroSD socket
- Peripheral & features from PS
- Display I/F – DisplayPort video output
- Dual Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45)
- 802.11b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 & Bluetooth 5.0 module with antenna connectors
- USB – 2x USB3.0 Type-A ports
- Expansion – M.2 Key B Connector with SATA/PCIe & USB3.0
- Debugging – UART Header, JTAG Header
- Misc – RTC Coin cell Header
- Peripherals & feature PL GTH Transceivers (Note: no support for ZU3 & ZU2 MPSoC)
- 4K HDMI output connector
- 4K HDMI input connector
- Optional 12G SDI input through BNC jack
- Optional 12G SDI output through BNC jack
- Networking – 10G Ethernet through SFP+ connector
- Power Supply – 12V input through 2.5mm Jack
- Dimensions – 100 x 72mm (not for the gateway, but for iW-RainboW-G36S board instead)
- Temperature Range – -40°C to +85°C (Industrial)
The AI gateway runs the usual Petalinux distributions plus Vitis AI stack that includes pre-optimized deep learning models from mainstream frameworks such as Tensorflow, Caffe, Darknet, and PyTorch. You can run different CNN models (SSD, GoogleNet, Yolo v2/v3, Mobilenet..) on each camera simultaneously.
It even looks like 11 cameras could be connected to the systems as the company indicates the system can handle 8 IP Cameras up to
1080p, plus two USB3.0 Cameras and one SDI camera, but it’s unclear whether AI inference is possible on all eleven cameras in real-time. It does seem to work fairly well with eight cameras though.
Corazon-AI gateway is designed for machine learning and computer-vision based applications such as video surveillance, ADAS, smart parking, medical robotics, industrial automation, and augmented reality. iWave Systems promises 10+ years of availability for the solution. More details can be found on the product page.