It’s been a while since Shenzhen Xunlong Software released a new Orange Pi board. But the wait is over… sort of, as Orange Pi R1 Plus LTS is a low-cost version of Orange Pi R1 Plus SBC that replaced the Realtek RTL8211E PHY with a YT8531C Ethernet PHY that offers the exact same features but at a lower price.
That means the new single board computer is still designed for headless operation, for example a router or firewall, with a Rockchip RK3328 processor, 1GB RAM, dual Gigabit Ethernet, and a USB 2.0 port.
- SoC – Rockchip RK3328 quad-core Cortex-A53 @ 1.5 GHz with Arm Mali-450MP2
- System Memory – 1GB LPDDR3 RAM
- Storage – MicroSD card slot, 16 MB SPI flash
- Connectivity – 2x Gigabit Ethernet via YT8531C Ethernet PHY and RTL8153B USB 3.0 to Ethernet chip
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 port, 1x USB-C OTG port
- Expansion – Unpopulated 13-pin header with earphone, 1x GPIO, TV out, UART, I2C, and IR receiver signals
- Debugging – 3-pin header for serial console, fan header
- Misc – Recovery key, WAN & LAN LEDs on board, “working status” LED.
- Power Supply – 5V/2A via USB-C port or 2-pin header; RK805 PMU
- Dimensions – 57 x 56 mm
- Weight – 29.5 grams
In some ways, Orange Pi followed the same path as FriendlyELEC out of necessity replacing Realtek parts with MotorComm chipsets, except that while NanoPi R2C relies on YT8521S, the new Orange Pi board went with YT8531C SKU. MotorComm seems to be enjoying the supply shortage with a full list of mostly Realtek SKU replacements, as well as Broadcom and Qualcomm Atheros, as listed in the table below.
Orange Pi R1 Plus LTS is currently available on Aliexpress for $27.99 plus shipping and listed on Amazon, but shown as “currently unavailable” on the latter. It’s more expensive than the $21.99 price from 2020 but cheaper than the $50+ price currently asked for Orange Pi R1 Plus by some Aliexpress sellers, since the board is out of stock on the official Orange Pi shop, most likely due to supply issues with the Realtek chip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
9 Replies to “Orange Pi R1 Plus LTS is a cheaper dual GbE SBC with YT8531C Ethernet transceiver”
On my side I see a price of $33.59 in AliExpress (plus shipping).
That’s what I still see this morning: $27.99 + $5.18 shipping to the US.
Maybe you are in Europe and they automatically add VAT? I’m not sure how it works with the new rules.
VAT is the reason.
Yep, I totally fogot the VAT 🙂
Some totally cool logo on the RAM, seems like that one also might be cost-reduced 🙂
I’m waiting for Thomas to comment on how buggy the GigE PHY is.
What’s the reason for Realtek problems?
Sold out on Amazon in 1 day.
Does anyone know the power consumption for this ? (Idle and Load )? Thanks