We noted some Android TV dongles with Amlogic S905Y4 Cortex-A35 processor in January 2021, and one of the first Amlogic S905Y4 devices available in this form factor is the Mecool KD3 with a certified Android 11 TV operating system.
The KD3 is equipped with 2GB RAM, 8GB storage, and the minimal design only offers only one HDMI 2.1 port and a Micro USB port used for power, and of course WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity.
Mecool KD3 specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S905Y4 quad-core Arm Cortex-A35 processor with an Arm G31-MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash
- Video Output – HDMI 2.1 port up to 4Kp60
- Video decoder
- AV1 MP-10 @ L5.1 up to 4Kx2K @ 60fps
- VP9 Profile-2 up to 4Kx2K @ 60fps
- H.265 HEVC MP-10 @ L5.1 up to 4Kx2K @ 60fps
- AVS2-P2 Profile up to 4Kx2K @ 60fps
- H.264 AVC HP @ L5.1 up to 4Kx2K @ 30fps
- HDR – Supports HDR10, HLG HDR processing
- Networking – Dual-band (2.4GHz/5GHz) 2T2R 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 5.0
- USB – 1x Micro USB OTG port (also used for power)
- Misc – LED indicator
- Power Supply – 5V via Micro USB port
- Dimensions – 92.5 x 29.5 x 14.5mm
Mecool KD3 ships with a power supply together with a one-meter Micro USB cable, an infrared & Bluetooth voice remote control, a 12.6cm HDMI extension cable, and a user manual. The company also told CNX Software they can provide a “U-Disk and an OTG cable for people who need it”. I understand the OTG Y-cable would allow you to connect your own USB flash drive to the device, but Mecool did not confirm my assumption before the publication of this article.
Pre-orders are up for under $60 including shipping on Aliexpress, or you can also order the HDMI dongle on Mecool online store for a little over $60 [Update: 10% off code CNXmecool]. Deliveries are expected to start on April 27.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.