congatec has just introduced the conga-HPC/uATX micro-ATX carrier board designed for COM-HPC Client modules size A, B, and C. The board is vendor independent since it is based on the COM-HPC and micro-ATX standards and designed for embedded long-term availability of at least seven years.
That means the micro-ATX carrier board works congatec solutions such as the high-end conga-HPC/cALS COM-HPC Client Size C module with up to a 16-core Intel Core i9 Alder Lake-S processor or the more power-efficient conga-HPC/cALP COM-HPC Client Size A modules with Intel Celeron 7305E processor, as well as similar solutions from ADLINK Technology, Advantech, Portwell, and other vendors.
conga-HPC-/uATX carrier board specifications:
- Compatible with COM-HPC Client Type Modules (Size A: 95 x 120mm, Size B: 120 x 120mm, and Size C: 160 x 120mm) with CPU and memory sockets
- Video Output
- 3x DP++ with 8.1 Gbps Re-driver
- 1x eDP (optional for LVDS)
- HDA codec
- 4-pin audio jack
- 1x DMIC header
- 1x I2S/SoundWire header
- Camera – 2x MIPI CSI2/3 4-lane camera FFC | 2x UART native by module | 2x UART by Super IO
- Networking – 2x 10GbE RJ45 with IEEE1588 support
- USB – Dual USB 2.0, 2x dual USB 3.2 connectors up to 10Gbps, 2x USB4 ports with Thunderbolt Retimer (1x with Power Delivery support)
- Storage and expansion
- 2x PCIe Gen4 x16
- 2x PCIe Gen4 x4
- 2x SATA III
- 2.5-inch disk drive power connector
- 1x M.2 Key B 2242/3042/2260/2280 (USB2, PCIe x2, SIM)
- 1x M.2 Key E 2230 (USB2, PCIe x2)
- 1x M.2 Key M 2242/2260/2280/22110 (PCIe x4)
- 1x General Purpose SPI
- 2x I2C header
- 1x SMB header
- 12x GPIO by header
- Feature header with system control signals
- System fan, CPU fan
- RTC CMOS battery holder
- Power, Reset, LID, and Sleep buttons
- 1x SPI boot flash socket
- 1x Intel ISP header
- Power Supply
- 24-pin ATX power connector
- 8-20V AT banana power jacks
- Power Management – ACPI 6.0
- Dimensions – 244 x 244 mm (Standard Micro-ATX form factor)
- Temperature Range – Operating: 0 to +60°C; storage: -20 to +80°C
- Humidity – Operating: 10% – 90% r. H. non-cond; storage: 5% – 95% r. H. non-cond.
congatec goes on to list operating systems and supported software tools such as Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, Linux, Yocto, and RTS Hypervisor, but it does not appear relevant to a carrier board unless specific drivers are needed. I initially thought it might be possible to build an Arm micro-ATX motherboard with the conga-HPC-/uATX carrier as I had ADLINK COM-HPC Ampere Altra 80-core module in mind, but that’s a Server Size E module instead of a client module so it won’t work here, and I’m not aware of any COM-HPC Client modules based on an Arm processor so far.
Micro-ATX system designs are often used when multiple displays are required, and typical applications include industrial and medical HMIs, real-time edge controllers, industrial PCs and control room systems, infotainment and digital signage applications, professional casino gaming systems, and so on.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.