It’s not often we come across an Intel Xeon SBC, but that’s just what AAEON EPIC-TGH7 single board computer offers thanks to a choice of Intel Tiger Lake H processors up to the Xeon W-11865MRE octa-core/16-thread processor.
So far, we had only written about Tiger Lake H-based COM Express and COM HPC modules from companies such as ADLink, Congatec, and Portwell, and the EPIC-TGH7 is the first proper SBC we’ve seen with the industrial processors. It supports up to 64GB RAM through two SO-DIMM sockets, SATA and NVME storage, offers 2.5GbE and Gigabit Ethernet ports, five video interfaces, eight USB 3.2/2.0 interfaces, and more.
AAEON EPIC-TGH7 specifications:
- Tiger Lake-H SoC (one or the other)
- Intel Xeon W-11865MRE 8-core/16-thread @ 2.60GHz / 4.70GHz (Turbo) with 32 EU Intel UHD Graphics; TDP: 35-45W
- Intel Core i7-11850HE 8-core/16-thread processor @ 2.60GHz / 4.70GHz (Turbo) with 32 EU Intel UHD Graphics; TDP: 35-45W
- Intel Core i5-11500HE 6-core/12-thread processor @ 2.60GHz / 4.50GHz (Turbo) with 32 EU Intel UHD Graphics; TDP: 35-45W
- Intel Core i3-11100HE 4-core/8-thread processor @ 2.40GHz / 4.40GHz (Turbo) with 16 EU Intel UHD Graphics; TDP: 35-45W
- Intel Celeron 6600HE dual-core processor @ 2.60GHz with 16 EU Intel UHD Graphics; TDP: 35-45W
- Chipset – Intel 500 Series Mobile Chipset (RM590E or HM570E)
- System Memory – Up to 64GB via 2x DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM sockets with ECC support for the Xeon SBC only
- 2x SATA III ports and 5V SATA power connector
- Half-size mSATA/mPCIe socket (default mPCIe, selected by BIOS)
- NVMe SSD support (See Expansion section)
- Display Interfaces
- 1x HDMI 2.0b
- 2x DP 1.2a (DP++)
- 1x VGA
- Dual-channel 24-/48-bit LVDS (default) or eDP
- Backlight inverter supply – 12V or 5V (default)
- Realtek ALC269; 2W amplifier
- Line Out, Line In, Microphone via pin header
- 1x 2.5GbE RJ45 port via Intel i225 controller
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port via Intel i219 controller
- Optional WiFI and Bluetooth via M.2 module
- Optional cellular connectivity via M.2 module and on-board Nano SIM card slot
- USB – 4x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports, 4x USB 2.0 interfaces via pin header
- Serial – 4x RS-232, 2x RS-232/422/485, all via pin headers
- 1x M.2 B key 3052 socket (Default: PCIe[x1] + USB3.0 + USB2.0, or PCIe[x2] + USB2.0 by BOM change)
- 1x M.2 M key 2280 socket (PCIe 4.0[x4])
- 1x PCIe 4.0[x8] slot (Up to 25W to the PCIe peripheral)
- Board to board FPC connector (PCIe[x4])
- 16-bit GPIO header
- Security – Optional TPM 2.0
- Misc – AMI BIOS, WoL, Watchdog Timer, CPU & system fan
- Power Supply – +9-24V DC input; AT/ ATX power supply type
- Power Consumption (Typical) – 12V @ 8.32A with Xeon W-11865MRE at 100% load
- Dimensions – 165 x 115mm (4-inch EPIC board form factor)
- Temperature Range – Operating: 0°C to 60°C; storage: -40°C to 80°C
- Humidity – 0% ~ 90% relative humidity, non-condensing
- Certifications – CE/FCC ClassA
AAEON does not provide information about supported operating systems but offers Windows 10 64-bit drivers for the board, so Windows 11 might also run on the board, and support for Linux may vary depending on drivers’ support.
The company says the EPIC-TGH7 SBC’s I/O density and high-speed expansion make it particularly applicable to healthcare imaging and military defense applications, but also expects some customers to integrate the solution in advanced digital signage platforms with up to four simultaneous displays, as well as other applications that could leverage the advanced graphics capabilities provided by the Tiger Lake H processors.
While the Intel Xeon W-11865MRE SBC is not available on the AAEON e-shop, the Intel Core i3-11100HE and Core i7-11850HE variants are listed for $812 and $1,167 respectively. But note that only the former is in stock at the time of writing. More detail may be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.