Telink TLSR8273-M-EH is a multi-protocol wireless connectivity module with energy harvesting capabilities implemented through Nowi’s PMIC, and designed for batteryless devices (or ones with “forever batteries”) such as TV remote controls, but also wearables, and electronic shelf labels among others.
The solution is based on a 48MHz RISC microcontroller that supports Bluetooth 5.1 LE, 802.15.4 (Zigbee/RF4CE/6LoWPAN/Thread), and 2.4GHz proprietary protocols. With a single module integrating all main components required for batteryless operation, Telink says its solutions reduce BOM and size, as well as supply chain complexity, and improves user-friendliness by removing the need for battery swaps.
Telink TLSR8273-M-EH specifications:
- Core – 32-bit RISC microcontroller @ up to 48 MHz (CoreMark 1.25/MHz)
- Memory – 64 KB SRAM with 32 KB retention
- Storage – 512 KB flash
- Bluetooth 5.1 LE up to 2 Mbps, with AOA/AOD support, Bluetooth Mesh
- IEEE 802.15.4 radio for Zigbee, RF4CE, 6LoWPAN, Thread
- 2.4GHz proprietary protocols
- RX sensitivity: -96 dBm @ 1 Mbps mode, -99.5 dBm @ 250 kbps mode
- TX output power: Up to +10 dBm
- PTA (packet traffic arbitration) for Wi-Fi coexistence
- I2S and USB inputs
- Dual-channel DMIC
- Single-channel AMIC
- Stereo audio output
- Peripheral interfaces
- Up to 32 GPIOs
- SPI, I2C
- USB 2.0
- UART with hardware flow control and 7816 protocol support
- Up to 6 channels of differential PWM
- IR transmitter with DMA
- Embedded low power comparator
- Embedded hardware AES and software AES-CCM
- Embedded hardware acceleration for Elliptical Curve Cryptography (ECC)
- Embedded TRNG (True Random Number Generator)
- Power management
- Supply Voltage
- 2.2V to 4.5V in operation
- 0V-2.2V in cold start mode
- Primary battery
- Rechargeable battery: USB or Energy Harvesting
- Supercapacitor: Energy Harvesting plus Cold Start
- Current Consumption (25°C):
- Rx mode: 6.32 mA
- Tx mode @ 0dBm: 6.73 mA
- Deep Sleep with 32 KB SRAM retention: 2.5 uA
- Deep Sleep with 32 KB SRAM retention, with 32K RC oscillator on: 3 uA
- Supply Voltage
- Energy Harvesting
- Battery voltage: 0V-4.5V
- Supports all DC harvesters
- Support multiple types of batteries & super caps
- Cold Start – Active from 0V to 2.2V; min. voltage: 280mV; min. power: 15uW
- Voltage boosting factor: 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x (auto)
- MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) with 1s or 8s refresh rate
- Dimensions – 23 mm x 21 mm
- Temperature range – -40°C ~ +85°C
- Certification – FCC, CE, BQB
The TLSR8273-M-EH module is compatible with Telink’s SDKs, and the company says that besides solar-powered BLE/IR/RF4CE remote controls, BLE wearables, and proprietary shelf labels, the module can also be integrated into HID devices, Smart Home products, health and wellness devices, as well as location services using both RSSI and AOA/AOD.
It’s not the first time we write about energy harvesting products based on Nowi PMIC, as Hisilicon introduced the Energy Autonomous NB-IoT V2 Platform in 2020. I can’t find any recent information related to the NB-IoT V2 module, so I’m not sure what happened here, many sanctions got in the way with Hisilicon being part of Huawei, and Nowi being based in the Netherlands.
Telink does not have a product page for its energy harvesting wireless module, but more details can be found in a PDF datasheet and the press release. Both Nowi and Telink will also showcase the module and remote control samples at IBC in Amsterdam, on September 9-12.
Thanks to TLS for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.