MediaTek has just launched the Dimensity 9200 octa-core flagship 5G mobile processor with one Cortex-X3 core, two Cortex-A710 cores, and four Cortex-A510 cores, as well as the latest Arm Immortalis-G715 GPU.
Manufactured for a TSMC 4nm processor for efficiency, the new flagship processor supports mmWave 5G and sub-6GHz cellular connectivity, LPDDR5x 8,533 Mbps memory, UFS 4.0 storage, and embeds a faster MediaTek APU 690 AI processor
MediaTek Dimensity 9200 specifications:
- Octa-core CPU subsystem
- 1x Arm Cortex-X3 core at up to 3.05 GHz
- 3x Arm Cortex-A710 cores at up to 2.85 GHz
- 4x Arm Cortex-A510 cores up to 1.80GHz
- 8MB L3 cache
- 6MB system cache
- GPU – Arm Immortalis-G715 with support for Vulkan 1.3, hardware-based ray tracing engine
- AI Accelerator – MediaTek APU 690 AI processor with MDLA (MediaTek Deep Learning Accelerator), MVPU (MediaTek Vision Processing Unit), SME (I don’t know what that is), and DMA
- Memory I/F – LPDRR5x 8,533 Mbps
- Storage I/F – UFS 4.0 with MCQ (Multi-Circular Queue) support
- Full HD+ up to 240Hz
- WQHD up to 144Hz
- 5K (2.5Kx2) up to 60Hz
- Camera – 18-bit HDR Imagiq 890 ISP with support for up to 320MP single camera. Native support for RGBW sensors to avoid Bayer conversion and reduce power consumption by up to 34%
- 8K60 H.265/HEVC, H.264, VP9
- 8K30 AV1
- Encode – 8K30 & 4K120 H.265/HEVC, H.264
- Wireless connectivity
- 5G modem compliant with 3GPP R16
- Sub-6GHz (FR1) and mmWave (FR2) support
- 2G-5G Multi-Mode
- 5G-CA, 5G FDD / TDD
- 4G-CA, 4G FDD / TDD
- 3G – TD-SCDMA, WDCDMA
- 2G – EDGE, GSM
- Up to 7 Gbps downlink peak performance when using the sub-6GHz band
- Up to 8CC-CA mmWave 5G
- 802.11b/g/n/ac/ax/be WiFi 7 2×2 MIMO up to up to 6.5 Gbps link rate
- Bluetooth 5.3, Bluetooth LE Audio
- GNSS – PS L1CA+L5, BeiDou B1I+ B2a + B1C, Glonass L1OF, Galileo E1 + E5a, QZSS L1CA+ L5, NavIC
- 5G modem compliant with 3GPP R16
- Manufacturing process – TSMC N4 4nm-class process
While some of the features such as the maximum CPU frequencies for all cores and the 4nm process are the same as the previous generation MediaTek Dimensity 9000, the new Dimensity 9200 upgrade to the latest standards such as UFS 4.0, Wi-Fi 7, Bluetooth 5.3, etc… and deliver significantly higher performance and efficiency as can be seen in the comparison above.
The Dimensity 9200 notably offers 10% extra CPU performance switching from a Cortex-X2 to Cortex-X3 core, provides up to 30% power savings with AI-NR and 45% power savings with AI-SR in all visual applications, and the new 6th generation APU 690 delivers up to 35% faster performance in ETHZ5.0 benchmark (aka AI Benchmark) compared to the fifth generation APU found in the Dimensity 9000.
The company says device manufacturers can use MediaTek’s Dimensity Open Resource Architecture (DORA) to customize the Dimensity 9200 features based on their requirements, so the specifications listed above may vary from model to model. The company expected Dimensity 9200 smartphone to become available as soon as the end of 2022. Additional information may be found on the product page and press release.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
SME = Shared Memory Engine or Shared Memory Efficiency? Take your pick:
DMA = Direct Memory Access?
Dimensity 9200 description from manufacturer
Dimensity series really turned out to be a force reckoned with
I really wish efficiency had more focus than performance. Most users don’t actually need more than mid-range CPU/GPU and a good camera
The biggest gains they are advertising are in power efficiency, and a faster CPU completes tasks faster and goes back to idling.
They probably have to launch flagship first to compete with Qualcomm, etc. They are also using standard ARM designs here, so I’m not sure how much innovation they can actually deliver on the CPU/GPU side. Eventually, they will launch a midrange chip on TSMC N4 and that will be more relevant to the masses.
Smartphone SoCs are getting so powerful that there should be a focus on desktop modes again.
It’s great that Mediatek dimensity 9200 focuses on the performance and efficiency of smartphones. The latest Wi-Fi-7 setup enhances the connectivity.
I am thrilled about the first Immortalis-G715 HW Ray Tracing GPU in the mediatek dimensity 9200 chipsets.