The “YB910_428_V1.0” is an Amlogic S928X penta-core Cortex-A76/A55 board designed for 8K TV boxes with up to 8GB RAM, an HDMI 2.1a port, Gigabit Ethernet and WiFi connectivity, optical S/PDIF, a 3.5mm audio jack, and a few USB 3.2/2.0 ports.
We first started to see Amlogic S928X TV boxes from manufacturers such as SEI Robotics and SDMC last year, but those companies mostly cater to operators and I’ve yet to see any retail Amlogic S928X devices. The YB910 board could mean we are about to see some S928X devices for sale very soon.
YB910 board specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S928X
- CPU – Penta-core processor with 1x Cortex-A76 core, 4x Cortex-A55 cores
- GPU – Arm Mali-G57 MC2 GPU with support for OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.2, and OpenCL 2.0
- 8Kp60 H.265, AV1, VP9, AVS3/AVS2 10-bit video decoder; 4Kp60 H.264 decoder, 1080p60 MPEG-4, WMV/VC-1, AVS, MPEG-2, MPEG-1 decoder
- Low-latency 4Kp60 H.265/H.264 encoder
- AI accelerator – Up to 3.2 TOPS Neural Network Accelerator (NNA) with Tensor Processing Unit (TPU) architecture, supports TensorFlow and Caffe
- Manufacturing process – 12nm
- System Memory – Up to 8GB LPDDR4/4X
- Storage – eMMC 5.1 flash, microSD card socket
- Video Output – HDMI 2.1a up to 8Kp60 with HDCP2.2/2.3, HDR 10, HLG, HDR10+, Dolby Vision (optional), and HDMI 2.1-specific features such as eARC, VRR, QMS, QFT, ALLM, DSC & SBTM
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack, optical SPDIF output, and HDMI digital audio output
- Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port
- WiFi and Bluetooth module (the photo is not clear enough to determine the model and versions)
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 (5 Gbps) Type-A port, 1x USB 2.0 Type-A host port
- Misc – IR receiver, 12-pin connector for… I’m not so sure.
- Power Supply – 5V via power barrel jack
- Dimensions – TBD
Shenzhen Tomato simply copied the specifications from the processors, so I had to check the photos to derive the specifications. The company also says the board will run Android with a 4K GUI instead of the more usual 1920×1080 resolution, and based on previous announcements that should mean Android 13.
The Amlogic S928X processor is optimized for 8K TV boxes and we’re unlikely to see too many S928X SBCs as is the case for the more versatile (and expensive) Rockchip RK3588 processor. The Amlogic focuses on 8K video playback and output and comes with a single Cortex-A76 core and a Mali-G57 MC2 GPU that are fast enough to render user interfaces smoothly at 4K resolution.
Pricing is unknown, but a few more details about the YB910 8K TV box board can be found on Shenzhen Tomato’s website. Note that the company does not usually manufacture boards or devices themselves, and typically relies on other factories in China, but I was unable to find the actual manufacturer at this time.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.