Infineon XMC4500 micro-controller family is based on ARM Cortex-M4 core @ 120 MHz, comes with 128 to 160 KB SRAM, 512 KB to 1 MB “Program Memory” as well as interfaces & peripherals, such as DMA, Ethernet, USB, ADC, DAC, SPI, I2C, I2S, UART and more. They are specifically designed for industrial applications supporting temperatures up to 125°C. The family was announced at Embedded World 2012 in February, and mass production started in May. This week at Electronica 2012, the company announced two low cost development kits for XMC4500 MCU:
- XMC4500 Relax Lite Kit (10 Euros):
- XMC4500 Microcontroller (ARM® Cortex™-M4F based)
- Detachable on-board debugger
- Power over USB
- ESD and reverse current protection
- 2 x user button and 2 x user LED
- 4 x SPI-Master, 3x I2C, 3 x I2S, 3 x UART, 2 x CAN, 17 x ADC (12 bit), 2 x DAC, 31x PMW mapped on 2 Pin Headers 2 x 20 0.1”
- Micro-USB plug
- XMC4500 Relax Kit (30 Euros) based on XMC4500 Relax Lite Kit plus the following features:
- Ethernet PHY and RJ45 jack
- Real Time Clock crystal
- 32 Mbit Quad-SPI Flash
- microSD card slot
Development can be done with the free DAVE 3 development tools that include:
- An IDE based on Eclipse
- A GNU Compiler & Debugger
- Data visualization utilities
- DAVE Apps, an Auto-Code Generator for both low and high level code
Documentation currently includes an (hardware) user manual and PCB design files. I cannot find source code samples, but I suppose this might be included in DAVE 3. Support is available with the Microcontroller forum, or Infineon website.
You can check the block diagram below for a better overview on the kits’ capabilities and features.
Infineon has uploaded several videos showing how to use their low cost development kit, including the one below that describes both kits, shows an LED and button demo on the Relax Lite and an embedded web server running on the Relax Kit. Finally it shows how to detach the debug board from the target and how to reconnect it later on if needed.
You can find more information on Infineon XMC4500 Relax / Relax Lite Kit page.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|