UDOO BOLT was one of the first AMD Ryzen Embedded V1000 SBC‘s ever announced with a choice of Ryzen Embedded V1202B or V1605B dual-core/quad-core processor, and a Microchip ATmega32U4 MCU for real-time I/Os and Arduino compatibility.
The company has now launched UDOO BOLT GEAR mini PC based on UDOO BOLT V8 SBC at a promotional price of $399 excluding taxes and shipping. [Update: code VOLUMIOGEAR might work to get a €60 discount]
UDOO BOLT GEAR specification:
- SoC – AMD Ryzen Embedded V1605B quad-core/eight-thread processor @ 2.0GHz (3.6GHz boost) with Radeon Vega 8 graphics with support for Directx 12, OpenCL, OpenGL, Vulkan, H.265 Decode & Encode (8-bit), Vp9 Decode; TDP: 12W to 25W
- System Memory – 2x DDR4 dual-channel 64-bit SO-DIMM sockets With ECC for up to 32GB RAM @ 2400 Mt/s
- M.2 Socket Key B 2260 for SATA SSD (also features PCI-e x2)
- M.2 Socket Key M 2280 for NVMe SSD (PCI-e x4 Gen 3 Interface)
- SATA 3.0 6 Gbit/s connector
- Video Output
- 2x HDMI 1.4/2.0a with CEC support
- 2x DisplayPort via USB Type-C port
- Realtek ALC888 HD audio codec
- 3.5mm combo connector for headphone & microphone
- 3.5mm combo connector for optical S/PDIF & stereo audio
- Pre-amplified stereo speaker connectors
- Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45) Realtek RTL8111G
- WiFi/Bluetooth via M.2 Socket Key E 2230 (included)
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 Type-A, 2x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C ports with DP Alt. Mode and USB PD 3.0
- I/O Expansion (via Embedded Controller) – 2x UART, 2x I2C, 1x SPI, 1x Keyboard Scan, 1x Fan Controller, 10x GPIO
- MCU Subsystem
- Microchip ATmega32U4 8-bit AVR microcontroller, Arduino Leonardo compatible
- Arduino Leonardo-compatible I/O – 12x Analog Inputs, up To 23x Digital I/o (including 7x PWM); 1x UART, 1x I2C, 1x SPI
- 3x Grove Connectors – 1x Analog Input, 1x UART or Digital I/O, 1x I2C or Digital I/O
- Misc – RTC battery (included), power button
- Power Supply – 19V (65W) via DC jack or USB Type-C Power Delivery
- Dimensions – 12 x 12cm
UDOO BOLT GEAR supports Windows 10, 8.1, or 7 as well as any Linux distribution designed for x86 64bit platforms. The mini PC ships as a kit with the SBC, a metal case, an M.2 WIFI/BT card, a 19V/65W AC power adapter together with EU and US power cords. Note that’s a barebone PC so you’ll need to add your own memory and storage, meaning the final costs should be north of $600, especially once taxes, VAT, and shipping are taken into account.
Still, UDOO’s AMD Ryzen Embedded V1605B mini PC has a lot going for it. First, since UDOO BOLT SBC has been around for a couple of years, you can rely on decent documentation and a fairly active community. We’ve covered plenty of Ryzen Embedded SBCs and some mini PCs, but unsurprising those are mostly designed for embedded systems and industrial applications meaning those are often only sold to businesses, or when more broadly available, the price is usually very high. UDOO GEAR BOLT is available to anyone with a credit card or PayPal account, and relatively affordable. It still keeps the four video outputs found in industrial solutions, and I also like that it could be used as an all-in-one Arduino development platform since you can run both the Arduino IDE and Arduino Sketches on the same hardware.
A few more details may be found on the product page.
Thanks to Leon for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|