Most smartphones have limited software support, but in my experience with Xiaomi smartphones part of Android One, the hardware tends to fail even earlier than the 18 to 24-month support window for such phones. It’s also close to impossible to repair those by yourself.
So it would be nice to have a phone with a longer warranty, software support, and that the user can service himself. If it was made of recycled materials, it would be a bonus too. That’s exactly what Teracube 2e phone provides with recycled materials, a fully biodegradable case, and a 4-year “premium care warranty” for hardware repairs, and since it runs Android 10 stock, you’d get 3-years of Android and security updates.
Teracube 2 phone is also meant to be affordable going for $99 and up on Indiegogo with the following specifications:
- SoC – Mediatek Helio A25 octa-core Cortex-A53 processor @ 1.8GHz with IMG PowerVR GE8320 GPU
- System Memory – 4GB RAM
- Storage – 64GB eMMC flash, MicroSD slot
- Display – 6.1-inch HD+ IPS Display
- Camera – 13MP + 8MP rear camera, 8MP front-facing camera
- Audio – 3.5mm headphone jack
- 4G LTE – Band 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 20
- 3G – Band 1, 2, 4, 5, 8
- 2G GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- Dedicated Dual-SIM socket
- 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 5.0
- USB – 1x USB-C port
- Security – PIN, Pattern, Fingerprint, Face unlock
- Battery – Replaceable 4,000mAh good for about 2 days on a charge
- Dimensions – 155.2 x 73.3 x 10.1mm
The retail price will be $199, so after the crowdfunding is over, it will not be the best value, but still affordable, and one of the rare phones with a long warranty. Users in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Poland, and Singapore will get a 4-year premium warrantee with two-way free shipping for an express replacement or repair. Note, there’s a $59 service fee to replace a cracked screen or other damage caused by an accident or misuse. Users in other countries will still benefit from the extended warranty but they must cover shipping themselves.
Teracube 2e phone will not ship with typical accessories like a USB charger and headphones, since you’ve probably already have those, and if not, they can be added at the time of order. Shipping is scheduled for December, but bearing in mind it’s a crowdfunding campaign do not count on receiving it in time for Christmas.
Via XDA Developers
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.