With NXP i.MX 8M Plus AI processor nearing mass production, we’ve seen many companies introduce i.MX 8M Plus systems-on-module at Embedded World 2021. But as one would come to expect, there should also be single board computers based on the new processor, and Advantech has unveiled the RSB-3720 2.5-inch SBC (aka Pico-ITX SBC) compatible with the company’s UIO40-Express expansion boards.
- SoC – NXP i.MX8M Plus dual or quad-core Arm Cortex-A53 processor up to 1.8GHz (1.6 GHz for industrial temperature range) with Cortex-M7 real-time core, Vivante GC7000UL 3D GPU, 1080p60 H.265/H.264/VP9 decoder, 1080p60 H.265/H.264 encoder, 2.3 TOP/s Neural Network Accelerator
- System Memory – 4GB or 6GB LPDDR4 4000MT/s
- Storage – 16 GB eMMC Flash for OS, 8 MB QSPI NOR Flash for board information, microSD socket
- Video Output –
- HDMI 2.0a up to 3840 x 2160 at 30Hz
- Single or dual-channel 24 Bit LVDS with backlight power, 5/12V, Max. 1A
- 4-Lane MIPI-DSI (shared with LVDS connector) by BOM option
- Audio – 1x Mic. in / Line out via pin header
- Camera I/F – 2x 4-Lane MIPI-CSI2 connector
- Networking – Dual Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 ports, optional wireless.cellular wireless with mPCI/M.2 + SIM slot
- USB – 1x USB3.2 Gen1 host port, 1x USB 2.0 host port
- 4-wire RS-232/422/485 via pin header configured as debug console by default)
- 1x CAN bus or CAN-FD bus via COM1 pin header, shared with serial
- Expansion –
- UIO40-Express connectors with 1x USB3.2 Gen1, 3x USB 2.0, 10x GPIO, 2x UART (one shared with debug console), 1x CANbus, 1x I2C
- Full-size mini PCIe slot (USB Signal Only)
- M.2 2230 Key-E slot (USB/PCIe/SDIO/UART/I2S)
- Misc – WatchDog Timer, Power LED, user LED
- Power Supply – 12V via lockable DC jack or 2-pin connector
- Power Consumption – 7.13W (but no indication of the load)
- Dimensions – 100 x 72 x 19 mm (2.5-inch Pico-ITX SBC)
- Weight – 50 grams? (probably more than that…)
- Temperature Range – Operating: 0 ~ 60°C or -40 ~ 85°C
- Humidity – 5%~95% Relative humidity, non-condensing
- Certifications – CE/FCC Class B
Advantech provides Yocto Linux & Android BSP for the board. The board targets AI Edge solutions using Tensorflow and ONXX, and the company mentions integration of “Eyes & Ears for AI requirements”.
Several UIO40-Express expansion modules are compatible with the board in order to add extra RS-485, RS-232, CAN bus, digital I/Os, or/and Gigabit Ethernet ports as illustrated below.
There’s no information about availability and pricing. More details may be found on the product page. If you’re looking for a complete solution with enclosure, Advantech is also offering EPC-R3720 Edge AI box computer showcased as a factory automation solution on NXP website.