Did you know Foxconn makes processors now? Well, they do, or at least can pretend they do to as we’ll see below. Foxconn FXN3102 24-core Arm Cortex-A53 processor is found in Vecow VAC-1000, a compact Edge AI computing system, that also features either an Hailo-8 AI accelerator or Gyrfalcon Lightspeeur 2801S NPU.
The Ubuntu 18.04 server system also comes with up to 16GB DDR4-2133 memory, optional NX Witness VMS (Video Management System) supported, and targets intelligent surveillance applications such as public surveillance or traffic monitoring, as well as smart retail, factory automation, and any other AIoT/Industry 4.0 applications.
- SoC – Foxconn FXN3102 24-core Arm Cortex-A53 processor @ up to 1.0 GHz
- System Memory – 8GB or 16GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC SO-DIMM
- 64GB eMMC flash, 512MB SPI Flash, up to 512KB EEPROM
- 1x SATA III port up to 6 Gbps
- 1x M.2 2280 Key M socket for NVNe SSD
- AI Accelerator
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 Type-A ports, 1x micro USB port for debug (external), 1x micro USB port for firmware update (internal)
- Misc – Power & SSD LED’s
- Power Input – DC 9V to 55V via 3-pin terminal block with V+, V-, Frame Ground
- Dimensions – 170 x 118 x 40mm
- Weight – 900 grams
- Mounting – – Wallmount by mounting bracket, optional DIN Rail mount
- Temperature – 0°C to 55°C
- Storage – -40°C to 85°C
- Humidity – 5% to 95% Humidity, non-condensing
- Relative humidity – 95% @55°C
- IEC 60068-2-27
- SSD : 50G @wallmount, Half-sine, 11ms
- IEC 60068-2-64
- SSD : 5Grms, 5Hz to 500Hz, 3 Axis
- EMC – CE, FCC, EN50155, EN50121-3-2
The system runs Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS with Linux 4.14 either booting from a flash drive or the eMMC flash. TensorFlow, Caffe, PyTorch are supported to leverage the AI accelerators, and the company mentions Python scripting language as well without details. As we previously mentioned in the introduced the system can optionally ship with NX Witness VMS as shown above.
But back to Foxconn FXN3102 processor. The only other 24-core Arm Cortex-A53 SoC that I know of is SocioNext SC2A11 unveiled in 2017. And indeed one website implies the Foxconn processor comes from SocioNext, meaning Foxconn FXN3102 is just a rebranded chip. We’ve previously seen SocioNext SC2A11 coupled with Hailo-8 in EdgeTuring dual-camera AI system designed for video analytics.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.