NanoPi R2C Plus is a variation of NanoPi R2C dual Gigabit Ethernet SBC powered by a Rockchip RK3328 processor that adds an 8GB eMMC flash for storage and replaces a 10-pin 2.54mm pitch I/O header with an 8-pin 1.25mm pitch header.
FriendlyELEC introduced the NanoPi R2C last August as a lower-cost version of NanoPi R2S replacing Realtek RTL8211E Gigabit Ethernet transceiver with a Motorcomm YT8521S chip for availability and pricing reasons. NanoPi R2C Plus is just an evolution of the original design.
NanoPi R2C Plus specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3328 quad-core Cortex-A53 @ 1.5 GHz with Arm Mali-450MP2
- System Memory – 1GB DDR4 RAM
- Storage – 8GB eMMC 5.1 flash, MicroSD Slot, SPI flash footprint
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet (WAN) up to 941 Mbps (measured) via MotorComm YT8521S Gigabit Ethernet transceiver
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet (LAN) up to 941 Mbps (measured) via Realtek RTL8153B USB 3.0 to Ethernet controller
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 Type-A host port, USB Type-C port (power and USB slave)
- Debugging – 3-pin 2.54mm pitch header for serial console
- Expansion – 8-pin 1.25mm pitch header with GPIOs, I2C, UART,
IR_Rx, 5V, 3.3V,and GND
- Misc – 3x LEDs (WAN, LAN, SYS), 1x user button, fan header
- Power Supply – 5V/2A DC via USB-C port
- Dimensions – Router: 60 x 60 x 29.5 mm; SBC: 57.5 x 54.3mm (slightly larger)
- Weight – About 80 grams with enclosure
- Temperature Range – 0°C to 80°C (was -20°C to 70°C in NanoPi R2C)
While the specifications have been updated with 5V/2A power requirements, the company still offers a 5V/4A power supply for the board.
FriendlyELEC provides Ubuntu Core and OpenWrt based images for NanoPi R2C Plus respectively called FriendlyCore Lite and FriendlyWrt. The same unified images are used for all FriendlyELEC’s RK3328 boards People who prefer Armbian built images, may try the NanoPi R2S Ubuntu/Debian images. The main problem may be the MotorComm drivers, but since the chip is being used on more and more hardware with Realtek Ethernet chips shortage, support in mainline Linux is being worked on. More details can be found in the Wiki.
NanoPi R2C Plus is only sold with its metal enclosure and not as a single board computer. The price is $48 plus shipping, and FriendlyELEC offers accessories such as the 5V/4A power supply ($8.99), and a USB 1602 LCD Module ($6.97). The router can also be found on Aliexpress for $62.20 including shipping.
[Updated: The post was initially published on December 28, 2021, when the board was found in the Wiki, and updated on February 12, 2022, once it became available]
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.