SECO has recently introduced the PICTOR fanless embedded computer equipped with the company’s SOLON (previously called SBC-C31) 3.5-inch single board computer powered by a Rockchip RK3399 processor.
The rugged computer ships with up to 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC flash storage, offers dual Gigabit Ethernet, wireless connectivity, HDMI and DisplayPort (via USB-C) video outputs, USB 2.0/3.0 ports, as well as two RS-232 or RS-485 ports on DB9 connectors.
SECO PICTOR specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3399 hexa-core processor with two Cortex-A72 cores @ up to 1.8 GHz, four Cortex-A53 cores, an Arm Mali-T860MP4 GPU, and a VPU supporting
H.265 10-bit, H.264 10-bit, VP9 8-bit 4Kp60 and MPEG-4/MPEG-2/VP8 1080p60 HW decoding, plus H.264, VP8 1080p30fps HW encoding
- System Memory – Up to 4GB 64-bit soldered down LPDDR4 memory
- Storage – Optional eMMC 5.1 flash, up to 64GB capacity
- Video Output
- HDMI 1.4 / 2.0a connector up to 4Kp60
- DisplayPort interface on USB Type-C connector up to 4Kp60
- Audio – Line Out + Mic In combo TRRS audio jack
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 ports
- Optional on-board WiFi 5 (802.11 ac/a/b/g/n) pls Bluetooth 5.0 module with external SMA antennas
- Optional on-board LTE modem with miniSIM slot or eSIM with external SMA antennas
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 Type-A ports, 1x USB 3.0 Type-C port (with DP Alt. mode), 1x USB 3.0 Type-A port
- Serial Ports – 2x RS-232 or RS-485 ports (factory options) on DB9-M connectors
- Expansion via optional 2x 12 poles terminal block
- 2x CAN
- 3x GPIOs,1x open-drain Output, 1x PWM
- 1x I2C
- 1x 5V, 1x 3.3V, 1x 12V, 3x GND
- Misc – Power ON button with integrated LED, optional RTC
- Power Supply – 12VDC to +24VDC via power jack
- Dimensions – 181 x 109 x 75 mm
- Temperature Range – 0°C to 50°C
One advantage of using Rockchip RK3399 is that it is time-tested and with relatively mature software support, so it’s a bit surprising to read that while Linux is supported, Android is only planned. Maybe it’s because of the embedded features like CAN Bus, RS-485, or RS-232, or because they plan to run a more recent version than the Android 7.1 OS used in other RK3399 embedded PCs such as Vecow EIC-1000.
The company can also provide optional VESA 100 bracket and DIN standard mounting plate accessories and says the system mainly targets digital signage, infotainment, fitness equipment, HMI, info kiosks, multimedia devices, point of sales, and vending machines.
No price and availability information was provided for the SECO PICTOR fanless embedded computer. More details may be found on the product page, or alternatively SOLON’s 3.5-inch SBC page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.