Orbbec Persee+ is a 3D depth camera running Linux with AI capabilities thanks to Amlogic A311D hexa-core processor equipped with a 5 TOPS NPU (Neural-network Processing Unit). The Persee+ is designed to help researchers, engineers, and hobbyists implement advanced uses for 3D imaging.
Orbbec has been around for several years with the first product we covered here being the Orbbec Persee 3D depth camera running Ubuntu or Android on Rockchip RK3288 processor and unveiled in 2015. Last year, the company introduced the Zora P1 Amlogic A311D development board for Orbbec 3D cameras, so in a way, the Orbbec Persee+ is born from the work done on the Persee camera and Zora P1 over the years.
Orbbec Persee+ 3D AI camera specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic A311D hexa-core processor with 4x Cortex-A73 cores, 2x Cortex-A53 cores, Arm Mali-G52MP4 GPU, 5 TOPS NPU
- System Memory – 4GB RAM
- Storage – 8GB (specs) / 32GB (press release/description) eMMC flash, microSD card slot up to 32GB
- RGB camera with up to 1920×1080 resolution @ 30FPS
- Astra+ structured light camera (Depth camera) with up to 640×480 resolution @ 30FPS
- Depth Range – 0.6m – 8m
- Depth FOV – H57° ±5°, V45.2±5°, D68.76°±5°
- RGB FOV – H69.2° ±5°, V52° ±5°, D80.39°±5°
- Video Output – HDMI port
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack, digital audio via HDMI, microphone array
- Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port
- Dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 5.0
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 Type-A port, 1x USB Type-C OTG port
- Misc – IR receiver
- Power Supply – 12V/2A
- Temperature Range – 0°C – 40°C
The Persee+ runs Android or Ubuntu (no version provided, but likely Android 9.0 and Ubuntu 20.04), and the Orbbec SDK allows developers to make use of the 3D depth-sensing capabilities of the camera. We can actually see several SDKs on the download page with Unity, Python, OpenNI2, etc…
The company does NOT have a video demo showing the performance of Orbbec Persee+, but it should be capable of tasks like body tracking as shown below with an Orbbec 3D camera (USB?), an unknown host platform, and the Orbbec SDK.
Orbbec Persee+ camera computer is up for pre-order for $379.99, and a person representing the company told CNX Software it should be in stock by mid-May. It’s not the first AI camera based on Amlogic A331D that we covered, as the ultra-compact Jevois Pro was introduced last year, albeit without 3D depth support.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.