AAEON EPIC-ADN9 SBC is powered by an Intel Processor N50/N97, Core i3-N305, or Atom x7425E Alder Lake N-series processor and equipped with up to four 2.5GbE networking ports and two SATA III ports for storage.
The board also comes with a SO-DIMM slot taking up to 16GB DDR4 memory, mSATA storage, three display interfaces including HDMI and DisplayPort, and two USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports, and offers expansion capabilities via M.2 and mPCIe sockets as well as headers.
AAEON EPIC-ADN9 specifications:
- Alder Lake-N SoC (one or the other)
- Intel Core i3-N305 octa-core processor @ 1.8 / 3.8 GHz (Turbo) with 6 MB cache, 32 EU Intel UHD Graphics up to 1.25 GHz; TDP: 15W
- Intel Atom x7425E quad-core processor @ 1.5 / 3.4 GHz (Turbo) with 6 MB cache, 24 EU Intel UHD Graphics up to 1.00 GHz; TDP: 12W
- Intel Processor N97 quad-core processor @ 2.0 / 3.6 GHz (Turbo) with 6 MB cache, 24 EU Intel UHD Graphics up to 1.20 GHz; TDP: 12W
- Intel Processor N50 dual-core processor @ 1.0 / 3.4 GHz (Turbo) with 6 MB cache, 16 EU Intel UHD Graphics up to 750 MHz; TDP: 6W
- System Memory – Up to 16GB DDR4-3200 via single-channel SODIMM slot
- Up to 2x SATA III connectors
- mSATA socket (shared with 1x SATA)
- Display Interfaces
- HDMI 1.4 up to 3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz
- DP 1.2 up to 3840 x 2160 @ 144Hz or VGA up to 1920 x 1080
- 24/48-bit dual-channel LVDS up to 1920 x 1080
- Up to 3x independent displays
- Realtek ALC897 codec
- Line-In / Line-Out / MIC via headers
- Optional 5W speaker
- Up to 4x 2.5GbE RJ45 ports via Intel I226-V controllers
- Optional WiFi and Bluetooth via mPCIe or M.2 socket
- Optional 4G LTE via mPCIe socket and Nano SIM slot
- USB – 2x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports, 4x USB 2.0 via headers
- COM 1 and COM 2 DB9 ports for RS-232/422/485 with support for 5V/12V/RI
- COM3-6 RS-232 internal headers (with support for RI only)
- 1x Full Sized mPCIe socket
- 1x Full Sized mSATA socket
- 1x M.2 2242 B-Key socket (PCIe 2.0 [x1] + USB 2.0)
- 16-bit GPIO connector
- SMBus header
- Security – Optional TPM 2.0
- RTC with 3V/240mAh backup battery
- UEFI/BIOS with Wake on LAN, Watchdog Timer
- 4-pin smart fan header
- Front panel connector for power button, reset button, power LED, SATA LED, buzzer
- Power Supply – +9-24V or +12V depending on SKU via 2-pin Phoenix connector; AT/ATX power supply type
- Power Consumption (Intel Core i3-N305, DDR4 16GB)
- Typical: 1.87A @ +24V
- Max: 2.66A @ +24V
- Dimensions – 165 x 115mm (4-inch EPIC Board form factor)
- Temperature Range – Operating: 0°C ~ 60°C; storage: -40°C ~ 85°C
- Humidity -0% ~ 90% relative humidity, non-condensing
- MTBF – 364,565 hours
- EMC – CE/FCC Class A
AAEON provides support for Windows 10 64-bit and Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS with Linux 5.19. Windows 11 is not officially listed but shows up in some of the audio drivers. It’s unclear whether the latest Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS with Linux 6.2 is supported.
While the board supports up to four 2.5GbE networking ports and two SATA ports, none of the currently available SKUs offer this combination so you can get a model with four 2.5GbE and one SATA, or another with two 2.5GbE and two SATA. I’m not sure whether it’s a commercial decision or a limitation from the Alder Lake-N processor family.
AAEON says their latest EPIC SBC is suitable for entry-level gateway devices, digital signage, smart manufacturing, and industrial automation. The EPIC-ADN9 single board computer is now in mass production, but pricing has not been made public yet. More details may be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.