The team behind Firefly-RK3288 development board has designed a new board with the less powerful but cheaper and more power efficient Rockchip RK3128 quad core Cortex A7 processor. FirePrime comes with 1GB RAM, 8GB Flash, Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and various other ports and expansion headers.
As with many other new development boards, Firefly team has gone with a baseboard + system-on-module design (mini PCI-e connector), and will certainly sell the module separately to companies who want to design their own baseboard.
Fireprime board specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3128 quad core ARM Cortex A7 @ 1.3 GHz with ARM Mali-400MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 1 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHz
- Storage – 8 GB NAND flash + micro SD slot
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 4.0 (AP6212 module)
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4 output, CVBS (AV) as well as MIPI and LVDS via expansion headers
- Audio Output – HDMI, optical S/PDIF, AV, Line-In
- Video Codec
- Decode – H.265, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, AVS, VC-1, RV, VP6/VP8, Sorenson Spark, MVC up to 1920×1080 @ 60fps
- Encode – H.264, H.265, VP8, MVC (1080p)
- USB – 4x USB 2.0 ports + 1 x micro USB OTG port
- Misc – IR sensor, 2x LEDs
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – Baseboard: 117 x 85 mm; CPU module: 67.6 x 31 mm
The company has not provided an availability date, nor released pricing information, but for reference F6 RK3128 media player sells for $50 including shipping, and it has similar specifications expect its lacks Gigabit Ethernet (Fast Ethernet only) and Bluetooth. So it’s unlikely FirePrime-RK3128 can match Raspberry Pi 2 or ODROID-C1 boards’ price, but it should still probably be below $50.
Thanks to Developer x, Nanik, and Harley.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|