Intel unveiled plans for two Apollo Lake NUCs, respectively NUC6CAYS & NUC6CAYH, in summer 2016. The former comes with 2GB memory and 32GB storage with Windows 10 Home preloaded, while the latter is a barebone system. The company has now started to sell the Windows 10 models on Amazon US for $232.99 with free shipping (if you happen to live in the US).
Here’s a quick reminder of the main specifications:
- SoC – Intel Celeron J3455 quad core processor @ 1.5 GHz to 2.3 GHz (burst) with 12EU Intel HD graphics 500 @ 250 to 700 MHz (10W TDP)
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM RAM, upgradeable up to 8GB DDR3L-1866
- Storage – 32GB eMMC flash, 2.5″ SATA3 bay for 9.5mm hard drives or SSDs, SDXC slot with UHS-I support
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60 Hz, VGA
- Audio – Up to 7.1 channels via HDMI, 3.5mm front headset jack, 3.5mm rear speaker/TOSLINK combo jack
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45), 802.11ac 1×1 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2
- USB – 2x front USB 3.0 ports at the front (yellow one for charging), 2x rear USB 3.0 ports, 2x internal USB 2.0 ports via header
- Misc – IR receiver, Kensington lock
- Power Supply – 12~19V DC input (65W wall-wart power supply included)
- Dimensions – 115 x 111 x 51 (plastic casing with inner metal structure)
You’ll find more detailed specifications here. Intel won’t be the only company launching Apollo Lake mini PCs, as there are a few other models in the pipeline coming from China and other countries. If you are interested in Linux, note that one person managed to get hold of Voyo VMac with the intention of replacing Windows 10 by Linux, but could not as the bootloader is allegedly locked to Windows. This will most probably not be an issue on Intel Apollo Lake NUCs, but it’s possibly something to check first if you plan to purchase mini PCs from other brands and want to run Linux.
Another caveat to be aware of if you’d like to use the NUC as an HTPC is that the chip required for HDMI 2.0 output on Apollo Lake platforms may filter out some signals, and HDMI audio pass-through may or may not work perfectly.