DEK Italia has recently introduced Telegea Smart Hub, an IoT gateway based on Raspberry Pi Computer Module 3 (CM3) with Ethernet, WiFi, RS232/485 ports, and various other I/O ports, that can leverage Raspberry Pi software ecosystem.
The company explains the device is mainly targeted at DIY home automation applications as a smart home controller which runs open source smart home software like OpenHAB and Home Assistant, but it can also be used for many other IoT applications.
Telegea Smart Hub R3B0 specifications:
- SoC – Broadcom BCM2837 quad core Cortex A53 processor with VideoCore IV GPU
- System Memory – 1GB LPDDR2 RAM
- Storage – 4GB eMMC flash, 256 byte EEPROM
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet port, optional Wifi 802.11 b/g/n at 2.4 GHz
- Serial – RS485 serial port, RS232 serial debug port
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- 6xdigital inputs via screw terminals (for dry contacts or S0 interface)
- 4x analog inputs (0-5V) via screw terminals
- Dallas 1-wire bus via screw terminals
- 1x RJ14 connector for I2C bus peripherals
- 1x XBee module compatible connector for ZigBee and other RF modules
- 3x expansion headers with additional GPIO, SPI and I2C bus connections
- Sensor – SHT21 temperature and humidity sensor
- Debugging / Programing – 1x micro USB OTG port
- Misc – RTC with integrated battery, user button, user LED
- Power supply – 5VDC via micro USB connector; 24V DC / 24V AC via screw terminals
- Dimensions – 155 x 86 mm
The gateway supports a customized version of Raspbian Jessie Lite with Linux kernel 4.9.x and later. The changes to Raspbian include enablement of clock generation for integrated Ethernet bridge on GPIO pin, UART ports for RS485 connector and serial debug port, drivers for RTC/ADC/EEPROM/ I2C relay card, configuration of the 1-wire bus on screw terminals, and installation of GPIO handling command line tools and Zulu Embedded OpenJDK VM. You’ll find source code, hardware and software documentation on Github, and get support on Telegea Google Groups.
The boards has been designed to fit into a commercial Camdenboss CNMB/9 DIN rail enclosure as shown above, in which case the model is called TSH-CM R3B0.
Telegea Smart Hub R3B0 board is sold on eBay without the Raspberry Pi module for 179.00 Euros, while the TSH-CM R3B0 modle with DIN rail enclosure and RPi CM3 module goes for 219.00 Euros. The complete kit is also sold on Tindie for $249.99. Visit the product page for more information.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.