The previously unveiled GPD Pocket 2 Max has now launched on Indiegogo under the name GPD P2 Max. The mini laptop, which the company refers to as an Ultrabook, is powered by an Intel Core m3-8100Y Amber Lake processor coupled with up to 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD storage and features an 8.9″ high-resolution touchscreen display.
Beside the Amber Lake processor, the company is also offering a lower cost model with an Intel Celeron 3965Y Kaby Lake-Y processor going for $530 in Indiegogo, against the $705 asked for the Intel Core m3-8100Y Ultrabook.
GPD P2 Max Ultrabook specifications:
- SoC (one or the other)
- Intel Celeron 3965Y dual-core Kaby Lake processor @ 1.50 GHz with Intel HD graphics 615; 6W TDP
- Intel Core m3-8100Y dual-core/quad-thread Amber Lake processor @ 1.1 / 3.4 (Turbo) GHz with 24EU Intel UHD Graphics 615; 5W TDP, but configured with TDP-up @ 8W
- System Memory & Storage
- Celeron 3965Y model – 8GB LPDDR3 RAM, 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD
- Core m3-8100Y model – 16GB LPDDR3, 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD with ~1600MB/s reads and ~1500 MB/s writes.
- Display – 8.9″ IPS display with 2560×1600 resolution, 10-point capacitive touch; Gorilla Glass 4
- Video Output – Micro HDMI up to 4K @ 60 Hz
- Audio – Stereo speakers, built-in microphone, 3.5mm headphone jack,
- Connectivity – Dual band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 up to 867 Mbps, Bluetooth 4.2
- Camera – 2MP (1600×1200) webcam
- USB – 2x USB host ports, 1x USB-C port
- User input – QWERTY keyboard, optional Japanese keyboard (stickers), touchpad
- Sensor – Fingerprint sensor built into the power button for unlock; hall sensor
- Misc – Power button, liquid cooling tube + fan
- Battery – 9,200 mAh @ 7.6V (35 Wh) battery good for about 8 hours of 1080p video playback
- Power Adapter – 24W power adapter with support for USB PD 2.0 for fast charging
- Dimensions – 213 x 149.5 x 5.5 to 14.2mm thickness (magnesium alloy shell)
- Weight – 650 grams
GPD P2 Max comes with Windows 10 Home 64-bit and will ship with a 24W charger, a warranty card, and a specification sheet.
The crowdfunding campaign has a target of 700,000 HKD (~$89,000 US) which has been surpassed after a few hours thanks to over 200 backers at the time of writing. GPD P2 Max Kaby Lake will cost $635 instead of $530 during the Indiegogo campaign, and the Amber Lake version $842 instead of $705. Worldwide shipping is already included in the rewards’ amount, so it does not add to the cost. Backers should expect their mini laptop / Ultrabook to be shipped in September 2019.
GPD has already sent prototypes for early reviews.