STMicroelectronics STM32 IoT Discovery Kit is supposed to ease software development for IoT nodes thanks to a qualified port of FreeRTOS integrated into the STM32Cube ecosystem, and ready to connect to Amazon Web Services (AWS).
The hardware is comprised of an STM32L4+ Cortex-M4F microcontroller, various MEMS sensors, a secure element, and offers WiFi, Bluetooth 4.2, and NFC connectivity.
STM32 IoT Discovery Kit (B-L4S5I-IOT01A) key features and specifications:
- MCU – STMicro STM32L4+ (STM32L4S5VIT6) Arm Cortex-M4F microcontroller with 2 MB Flash, 640 KB RAM in LQFP100 package
- storage – 64 Mbit Quad-SPI Flash
- Bluetooth 4.1 module (STMicro SPBTLE-RF)
- 802.11 b/g/n compliant Wi-Fi module (Inventek ISM43362-M3G-L44)
- Dynamic NFC tag based on ST25DV04K with its printed NFC antenna
- USB – Micro USB OTG port
- STMicro Sensors
- 2 digital omnidirectional microphones (MP34DT01)
- Relative humidity and temperature sensor (HTS221)
- 3-axis magnetometer (LIS3MDL)
- 3D accelerometer and 3D gyroscope (LSM6DSL)
- 260-1260 hPa absolute digital output barometer (LPS22HB)
- Time-of-flight (ToF) and gesture-detection sensor (VL53L0X)
- Arduino Uno V3 expansion connector
- Pmod expansion connector
- Hardware Security – STMicro STSAFE-A110 secure element
- Debugging – On-board ST-LINK/V2-1 debugger/programmer with USB re-enumeration capability: mass storage, Virtual COM port, and debug port
- Misc – 2 push-buttons (user and reset)
- Power Supply – Via ST-LINK, USB VBUS or external sources
The STM32 IoT Discovery Kit comes with the X-CUBE-AWS v2.0 STM32Cube Expansion Pack with ensures proper integration of the FreeRTOS standard AWS connectivity framework within the STM32Cube environment. It enables support for all low-level functions of the board out of the box including WiFi and sensors, as well as AWS native services such as standard Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) tasks, as well as AWS IoT Core Multi-Account Registration, connection, subscribe and publish, and jobs which are kept secure thanks to the embedded secure elements.
The STM32 IoT Discovery kit (B-L4S5I-IOT01A ) can be ordered for $54 either directly from STMicro or via distributors. More details, including download links for X-CUBE-AWS v2.0 STM32Cube Expansion Pack, can be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|