Avnet RZBoard V2L is an Arm Linux SBC for AI vision applications that’s about the size of a business card (or a Raspberry Pi), and powered by a Renesas RZ/V2L Cortex-A55/M33 processor with an on-chip DRP-AI accelerator.
The board also comes with 2GB DDR4, 32GB eMMC flash, 16MB QSPI flash, Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 5.0, multiple USB ports, MIPI DSI/CSI interfaces, as well as a Pi HAT compatible 40-pin GPIO header.
RZBoard V2L specifications:
- SoC – Renesas RZ/V2L with 2x Arm Cortex A55 cores @ up to 1.2 GHz, 1x Arm Cortex M33 real-time core @ 200 MHz, Arm Mali G31 GPU @ 500MHz, DRP-AI accelerator, DRP Simple ISP (full HD), and a H.264 Hardware Video Enc/Dec (full HD)
- System Memory – 2GB DDR4 (16-bit with ECC)
- 32GB eMMC flash
- 16MB QSPI NOR Flash
- MicroSD card socket
- Video Output – MIPI DSI and HDMI (selectable)
- Camera I/F – MIPI CSI connector
- Audio – 3.5mm stereo jack with mic input
- Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port
- 801.11ac Wi-Fi 5 and Bluetooth 5.0 module plus u.FL connected external antenna
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 Host ports and 1x OTG USB 2.0 port
- CAN – CAN FD Interface and transceiver
- 40-pin Raspberry Pi expansion header
- 8-pin WTB Header (ADC in, CAN-FD)
- 8-pin WTB Header (UART, USB, CAN-FD)
- Debugging – 10-pin JTAG/SWD debugger header
- Misc – 1x user RGB LED, 2x button switches
- Power Supply – 5V via USB Type-C port
- Dimensions – 85 x 56mm form factor
- Temperature Range – 0~70°C
Just like other boards based on Renesas RZ/G2L and RZ/V2L, such as Geniatech “AHAURA” and “AKITIO” development boards, the RZBoard V2L SBC is supported by a BSP based on the “super long term” support Civil Infrastructure Platform Linux that will be maintained for at least 10 years. Avnet also offers reference designs that highlight AI vision implementations using the DRP-AI core. I was unable to find software documentation for the board at the time of writing.
The board ships with a dual-band U.FL antenna and a Quick Start instruction card. Optional accessories include a 7-inch MIPI display, a 5MP MIPI CSI camera, and a 5V/3A USB Type-C power supply. The SBC targets vision accelerated artificial intelligence, Edge AI applications, machine learning, access control systems, inventory and asset monitoring, surveillance cameras with person/abject recognition, Smart Home appliances, and industrial robotics.
While the RZBoard V2L single board computer has a form factor similar to Raspberry Pi 4, it targets industrial applications, and Avnet has launched pre-preorders for the board for $149 with shipping scheduled to start in Q3 2022. Additional information may be found on the product page and press release.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.