Orange Pi 5 could be the most affordable Rockchip RK3588S SBC

Orange Pi 5 (LTS) is an upcoming single board computer powered by Rockchip RK3588S cost-down octa-core Cortex-A76/A55 processor that should offer one of the best cost/performance ratios on the market once it is launched.

The SBC is said to come with up to 32GB RAM, 32GB eMMC flash, offers HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4 8K video outputs, up to two MIPI DSI display interfaces, three camera interfaces, Gigabit Ethernet, and WiFi 6 connectivity, and a few USB ports plus a GPIO header.

Orange Pi 5 RK3588S SBC

Orange Pi 5 LTS specifications:

• SoC – Rockchip RK3588S octa-core processor with 4x Cortex-A76 cores @ up to 2.4 GHz, 4x Cortex-A55 cores @ up to 1.8 GHz, Arm Mali-G610 MP4 GPU, 6 TOPS AI accelerator
  • System Memory – 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB (TBC) LPDDR4/4x
  • Storage – 32GB eMMC flash, MicroSD card slot
  • Video Output
    • HDMI 2.1 up to 8Kp60
    • DisplayPort 1.4 up to 8Kp30 via USB-C port (DP 1.4 and USB 3.1 ports are multiplexed, instead of just using USB-C DisplayPort Alt mode as per RK3588S specs)
    • 2x 4-lane MIPI DSI connector up to 4Kp60
  • Camera I/F – 1x 4-lane MIPI CSI connector, 2x MIPI DCPHY connectors (4-lane DPHY v2.0) for up to 3x cameras
  • Audio
    • ES8388 audio codec
    • 3.5mm audio jack with headphone and microphone support
    • Onboard MIC
    • Support for HDMI 2.1 eARC
  • Networking
    • Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port via YT8531B GbE transceiver
    • Dual-band Wi-Fi 6 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax 2T2R, Bluetooth 5.0 with  BLE support via Ampak AP6275P (PCIe module)
  • USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Gbps) Type-C port, 2x USB 2.0 ports
  • Expansion – 26-pin header with up to 15x GPIO, 2x UART, 3x PWM, 2x I2C, 1x CAN, 1x PWR_ON
  • Debugging – 3-pin UART header for serial console
  • Misc – MaskROM and Reset buttons, Power LED, status LED
  • Power Supply
    • 5V/4A via DC jack
    • USB Type-C port (USB PD 3.0)
    • RK806-1 PMU
  • Dimensions – 100 x 62 mm
  • Weight – 46 grams

Orange Pi 5 specifications

Orange Pi 5 LCD & Camera interfacesJust like the other Rockchip RK3588/RK3588S boards we’ve seen, Orange Pi 5 SBC will support Android 12 and Debian 11 initially. Some may be disappointed at the lack of NVMe or SATA storage, but that’s because Rockchip RK3588S only has two  Combo PIPE PHY interfaces with the following capabilities.

• Combo PIPE PHY0 – SATA III or PCIe 2.1 up to 5 Gbps
  • Combo PIPE PHY2  – SATA III, PCIe 2.1, or USB 3.1 Gen1

The first one is used by the Ampak AP6275P WiFI 6 and BLE 5.0 module and the second, by the USB 3.1 Gen 1 (+DisplayPort) Type-C port. If I understand correctly it should be possible to connect the USB-C port directly to a monitor with DisplayPort input with a special cable, and no USB-C dock is needed since we are not talking about DisplayPort Alt. mode here.

Orange Pi 5 is not the first Rockchip RK3588S SBC with Firefly having introduced the ROC-RK3588S-PC board a few months ago with an NVMe socket, but only WiFi 5. Shenzhen Xunlong software did not provide pricing information for the board just yet, but the company is usually quite aggressive on pricing (thanks to historically relying on the community for software support), so it should end up being much cheaper than the $219 asked for ROC-RK3588S-PC with 4GB RAM and 32GB eMMC flash. I’d also expect Orange Pi 5 (4GB RAM/32GB flash) to cost more or less the same as the $129 Rock 5B board with Rockchip RK3588, 4GB RAM, 2.5GbE, but no storage and wireless module by default.

Support CNX Software! Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples

ROCK Pi 4C Plus
The comment form collects your name, email and content to allow us keep track of the comments placed on the website. Please read and accept our website Terms and Privacy Policy to post a comment.
newest
24 days ago

> RK806-1 PMU

That’s in contrast to the picture showing RK808 instead.

> cost more or less the same as the $129 Rock 5B board

Let’s not forget RK3588S based Rock 5A which should cost less.

24 days ago

What a pity. At leat they could split the PHY0 to wifi and sata m.2. I won’t mind sharing ssd bandwidth with the wifi. Or they could set that PHY0 to nvme\ssd. That’ll more usefull.

But well, I’m glad that we have more RK3688 boards. Wishing HardKernel launching their board too.

24 days ago

> split the PHY0 to wifi and sata m.2. I won’t mind sharing ssd bandwidth with the wifi.

You can’t do that with SATA since the PHY can be either PCIe or SATA (mode set at boot with u-boot hacks or a device-tree overlay). Though with NVMe and a PCIe switch that could work. But since a PCIe switch increases the BOM costs most probably you will never see this from Xunlong.

24 days ago

Noted, thanks. I mean split to wifi and nvme, or just use it for nvme. It’ll be more usefull. I’d rather they put PCIe switch rather than those eMMC.

24 days ago

> just use it for nvme

That would’ve been my idea as well. Though no idea which use case this board here targets…

Most probably AP6275P in combination with the RK806-1 PMU are part of some Rockchip reference design (and as such software support in Android and Linux BSP) so we see it now without modifications on a number of RK3588(S) and RK3568 devices.

23 days ago

Yes, agreed. Either they have buyers (in bulk) that need these specifications or it’s part of the reference design (so didn’t need too much tinkering and time, to launch their board to market).

24 days ago

Love the way you have a usb2 stacked with a usb3 yet both are blue. Orange pi who employed Tkaiser, should of left the WiFi and Bluetooth off. As well as done a better port layout. I have no interest in help Orange Pi 🍊

Xander
Xander
23 days ago

I’m willing to agree with the port layout, the price not so much. The selling feature for me was the low price @ 50$ for a reasonably performing low-wattage passively-cooled SoC taking abysmal I/O for granted. That has been proven solid even surpassing durability expectations. It’s fun and usable for projects lying around, but I do not see the value proposition of this generation. For a NAS, I use Synology because they fully support software 10 years, I don’t want to fsck around with my data. For a TV box, there’s lots of other options better supported or far cheaper.… Read more »

23 days ago

The cheapness is a illusion, because the problems in hours soon comsum any saving. I prefer Friendlyelec.

( I declare I received free hardware from Friendlyelec ( NanoPI R5S )). But that has not affected my choice, I have corresponded with them for years. I find them helpful and professional.

23 days ago

> I received free hardware from Friendlyelec ( NanoPI R5S )

For which purpose? It’s not a TV box so what could you do with this thing? What does FriendlyELEC get in return from you? You help improving with software or at least try to review the stuff thrown at you?

You don’t need hardware for constantly spreading lies and flooding the net with stupid comments…

23 days ago

Get over yourself, people saw the real you with your hated Orange Pi software.

23 days ago

Ok, only more lies. So I guess the only real benefit for any board maker dealing with you (‘corresponded with them for years’) is that way it helps stopping you from badmouthing all over the net?

Anyway, your constant flow of stupid comments is the most annoying thing at cnx-software.com and probably a reason to quit.

Radek x
Radek x
22 days ago

Tkaiser – plase don t worry be happy…. ha ha. Orange pi use very cheap PCB ( i know it ). i suspect they use other components also not high quality. And they dont provide software support. Their img file cannot be treat serious. They get money from china governament ( 100% chacked in china newspapers). And they are cheap. If you over heat your board yo will not use it long.
And dont use glue to mount fan on board.

Daisy
Daisy
21 days ago

Actually orange pi provides good hardware in quality with nice price and low profits.

megous
20 days ago

What are you even talking about? 😀 PCB is fine. The only sad thing is the sole electrolytic capacitor on PC/PC2. That will probably some day fail. Other than that, my first Orange Pi PC still works fine after almost 7 years of constant uptime. I haven’t even swapped the uSD cards in many of my Orange Pis. (not that any SBC failed on me ever)

I’ve even managed to screw up cpuidle support, resulting in permanent overheating for month at one time. It just continues working.

David Willmore
David Willmore
18 days ago

I’ve used SBCs from many different companies and the only ones I had fail on me were raspberry pies. I’ve not noticed anything wrong with Orange Pi boards. The board that’s given me the most trouble is a FriendlyElec board. I’m not ever going to use another of their products.

back2future
back2future
22 days ago

for a desktop: it depends on customer’s usage requirements (for instant utilization of established interfaces on mainline software level for system and current applications with high level hardware demand on gpu, exception might be integrated npu (&camera/video inputs) at the moments, it’s probably often a most reasonable choice with x86_64 on comparable price offerings, what includes higher memory support for arm64 now and what adds to overall price for a SBC 8GB->16GB->32GB ((LP)DDR4. Concepts of soldered memory have its pros *and* cons. ) Like with size discussions for pcb (capable systems towards mini itx comparable sizes), arm64 and x86_64 systems… Read more »

Willy
Willy
22 days ago

And in any case this is irrelevant to the technical discussions here, and anyone is allowed to do business with anyone else without having to justify oneself. Some of us (me included) occasionally receive free hardware from some vendors because they consider that the feedback they receive is worth it. That’s another form of working for them even if it’s a lower engagement. Is there anything wrong there ? Of course not, as long as comments are honest. We’re engineers not influencers, and we can recommend certain products for certain use cases and not other ones without being suspected of… Read more »

back2future
back2future
22 days ago

it’s different markets for newer SBCs getting into desktop/laptop level performance (>~$150) on recognizable quantities, thus it’s about market share (especially with limited resources on parts/components, materials, energy and labour input, (or agreement on common regulations) )?
It is an open question, if people more likely decide on price or suitability priorities (guess would be, price is limit and suitability is subject for compromises)
AFAIK, Rockchip published sales quantities for some of previous SoC types.

21 days ago

> Some of us (me included) occasionally receive free hardware Me as well. In order of value: SinoVoip Xunlong Radxa FriendlyELEC ODROID Which resulted in ODROID forum one madbrain claiming I would be paid by FriendlyELEC and everywhere else on the net TheLiarUK spreading his lies about me being ’employed’ by OrangePi. For ‘software’ while this TheMoronUK has not even an understading of software and how less I care about the stuff Xunlong wanted and stil wants (some ‘nice OS for end-users’). Just like you I almost never connect a display to SBC and as such I can not understand… Read more »

22 days ago

Jean-Luc Aufranc

You do a amazing job reviewing and informing people about embedded products. It is only right you carry adverts and receive samples to review. It pays for your time and effort running your site.
I allow my adbloker to allow CNA-SOFTWARES adverts, since it one of the ways that pays for your hard work.

back2future
back2future
21 days ago

i took this for an inspiring test on one ad blocker:
difference between using an ad-blocker or not is with showing one additional ad without active ad-blocker,
but difference with ad-blocker active is, that tracking of user habits is reduced and privacy is improved,
no problem with ads for embedded SBCs (like being another source for news and expanding variety), but it’s a nasty regress on privacy if ads track users for (Machiavellian) companies/characters

back2future
back2future
21 days ago

my point of view: there’s (at the moments) another difference to closer years ago with cookie/legitimate interest standards on www, what sees development towards more sites offering an object/refuse button, combined with more details on cookies or allow all button. This, different from some years watching that dev, is trending towards more acceptance/respecting www users freedom of choice (because of its influence on visitors attention and advertising value from that)
But, don’t trust me, watch that details yourself and maybe You agree on that?

21 days ago

> I don’t think Orange Pi ever employed tkaiser Seriously? How could I be ’employed’ by someone I don’t even know? Xunlong got tons of unjustified criticism from me back then when I was part of linux-sunxi community and interested in Allwinner SoCs and started with the SBC game. Never got any response from Steven other than trying to say hello via Aliexpress years after I bought my first Orange Pi PC. Orange Pi was interesting for EU consumers back then with declared value below 22€. From a business point of view Xunlong never worked out since w/o a regular… Read more »

Daisy
Daisy
21 days ago

Yes, that’s right. Orange Pi never employed tkaiser before.

Benjamin Hojnik
23 days ago

I miss the old days, where you could get a usable SBC for 15$. Anyone still remembers OPI PC? 😀

23 days ago

Don’t forget, the fab runs cancellations, parts shortages and fuels rises are playing havoc with prices.

23 days ago

If CNX allows From Techpowerup Jul 8th, 2022 10:01 ” According to TrendForce investigations, foundries have seen a wave of order cancellations with the first of these revisions originating from large-size Driver IC and TDDI, which rely on mainstream 0.1X μm and 55 nm processes, respectively. Although products such as MCU and PMIC were previously in short supply, foundries’ capacity utilization rate remained roughly at full capacity through their adjustment of product mix. However, a recent wave cancellations have emerged for PMIC, CIS, and certain MCU and SoC orders. Although still dominated by consumer applications, foundries are beginning to feel… Read more »

David
David
21 days ago

This is disturbing but inevitable, talk about a backlash. I’m surprised we are not seeing more ODM/OEMs going out of business. Or maybe that’s the next shoe to drop? I hope not.

Here is the link to the TrendForce article:

Order Cancellations Strike, 8-inch Fab Capacity Utilization Rate Declines Most in 2H22, Says TrendForce

7 July 2022, Semiconductors, Joanne Chiao

Jack
Jack
23 days ago

Agree that sbcs are getting expensive, but this is a 8 core, more like a tablet, laptop soc… 125$ is a lot anyway… a good price should be 80$

Boris
Boris
23 days ago

Yes, me too. I bought a lot of OPI Zeros, Ones, One Plus and PCs back in 2018 for $10-20. I like that I could bought OPIs with A53 CPUs, so I could get SBCs with aporox RPI 3 performance for a lot cheaper.

20 days ago

Ah, those were the times. Odroid C1 with $7 shipping cost, OPI Zero with < $20 with shipping cost. 🙂

Daisy
Daisy
18 days ago

Orange Pi zero2 1GB version and orange pi 3 lts 2GB8GB is also with good price and performace.

the bat
the bat
23 days ago

No PCI-Express expansion socket ????

Cameron
Cameron
23 days ago

I just want an rk3568 with two A76 cores. They could be cute and call it an rk3576. Rk3588s is missing so much important IO. Particularly the PCIe 3.0 lanes on the rk3588 and rk3568.

Willy
Willy
22 days ago

I like this idea. It matches what I usually like in Marvell’s products: tons of I/Os, decent CPU but no more than that. And when you want lots of I/Os you often don’t need many CPUs, a dual core is often more than enough.

Jack
Jack
23 days ago

I liked OP4 , it had that smart mpcie extension board connected by a cable, i liked the idea, not sure if this one will have it… does it have a mpcie/m2 socket ?

xnc-hardware

16MB SPI

And get decent Personal Computer (PC) with ARM Inside 🙂
We are almost there

Dan
Dan
23 days ago

So you want a rock5b right?

yalexey
22 days ago

We need something like “Rock 5A” or NanoPi R5S with no wireless, no much display interfaces, but with strong network connectivity and NVME and SATA capabilities.

20 days ago

LOL. Yeah. IMO, So far, Rock5B is the board that is most usefull/beautiful among RK3588 SBCs. If only Tom include some metal case with good heat management (like some RPI4b case). That would be perfect!

20 days ago

Power via barrel plug is so usefull. As it’s ubiquitious, and easy for DIY. USB Type-C, not so much.

20 days ago

> Power via barrel plug is so useful

And dangerous with the typical 5.5/2.1mm since tons of 5V and 12V power bricks use these diameters. I fried my UP Board recently with 12V and this happens all the time.

It seems these days the power design of new devices gets more complex with buck converters and USB PD chips in the power path which obviously also contributes to rising costs.

Tim
Tim
4 days ago

Glad I read this comment, had no idea this was a thing.

Quite dangerous practice.

3 days ago

Can they not just put a replaceable fuse on the product, like the old car fuses? Better to replace a fuse than a board.

diizzy
diizzy
17 days ago

If you’re working with electronics one would expect that you at least read before plugging something in and I agree that a barrel plug would be much more useful as it’s much easier to find a decent PSU than the myriad of USB-C adapters that may / may not work as expected.

Salvador Liébana
Salvador Liébana
21 days ago

My main concern here is the 5v only thingy. I had trouebles with opi4 bc of that. Serious trouebles, like on rpis.

20 days ago

> My main concern here is the 5v only thingy.

The article reads ‘USB Type-C port (USB PD 3.0)’. Since the PMU is RK806-1 I wouldn’t be surprised if this board also relies on a FUSB302 USB PD chip that defaults to 5V/9V/12V (just like everything else with RK35x8 these days).

Always remember: regardless which device maker is involved all the RK3588(S) boards and boxes base more or less on Rockchip’s reference design.