Orange Pi 4 is yet another Rockchip RK3399 SBC with 4GB RAM, while Orange Pi 4B adds Gyrfalcon Lightspeeur 2801A AI Accelerator. Both models were announced about 10 days but were not for sale just yet.
- Orange Pi 4 with no eMMC flash – $49.90
- Orange Pi 4 with 16GB eMMC flash – $59.90
- Orange Pi 4B with 16GB eMMC flash, Gyrfalcon NPU – $69.90
Quick reminder of Orange Pi 4/4B specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip K3399 hexa-core big.LITTLE processor with two Arm Cortex A72 cores, four Cortex A53 cores, and an ARM Mali-T860 MP4 GPU with support for OpenGL ES 1.1 to 3.1 support, OpenVG1.1, OpenCL and DX 11
- System Memory – 4 GB LPDDR4
- Storage – Optional 16 GB eMMC flash, micro SD card
- NPU (Orange Pi 4B only) – Gyrfalcon Lightspeeur SPR2801S NPU delivering up to 2.8TOPS @ 300mW, 5.6 TOPS @ 100 MHz (peak performance)
- Video Output/Display Interface
- HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60 Hz
- LCD connector for MIPI DSI display
- USB-C port with DisplayPort Alternate mode
- Video Decode – 4K VP9 and 10-bit H.265 video codec support up to 60 fps
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack for headphones; HDMI digital audio output; built-in microphone; ALC5651 codec
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet port (via RTL8211E transceiver), dual-band 802.11ac 2×2 MIMO WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0 (Ampak AP6256 module)
- Orange Pi 4 – 1x USB 3.0 port, 2x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x USB 3.0 type C port
- Orange Pi 4B – 2x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x USB 3.0 type C port
- Camera – 2x camera headers
- Debugging – 3-pin serial header
- 40-pin GPIO 2.54mm pitch female header with 2x I2C, 1x SPI/UART, 8x GPIO, etc…
- 24-pin connector for PCIe signals
- Power Supply
- 5V/3A via DC jack
- 5V via type C port
- RK808 PMU
- Dimensions – 91 x 56 mm
The company will provide Android 8.1, Ubuntu 16.04/18.04, and Debian 9 for the board, but at the time of writing the information has yet to be posted on their Download page. Gyrfalcon Lightspeeur SPR2801S NPU on Orange Pi 4B should be using the same SDK as Orange Pi AI Stick Lite USB neural compute stick since it’s connected to one of Rockchip RK3399 processor’s USB 3.0 interfaces.
The price of Orange Pi 4B is really impressive, as last year you’d have to pay about the same price just with the USB stick. Orange Pi 4 is also good value as at $49.90 it’s the cheapest Rockchip RK3399 board with 4GB RAM. For comparison, FriendlyELEC NanoPi M4 is also $50 but with only 2GB RAM, while Pine64 RockPro64 starts at $59.99 with 2GB RAM. Both are available with 4GB but at around $80.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.