Introduced in 2016, MINIX NEO Z83-4 was an Intel Cherry Trail Windows 10 (Home) mini PC powered by Intel Atom x5-Z8300 processor coupled with 4GB RAM and 32GB flash, which was followed by MINIX NEO Z83-4 Pro the next year with basically the same hardware specifications but based on Atom X5-Z8350 processor running Windows 10 Pro instead.
The company has now launched another version with MINIX NEO Z83-4U model that comes with 64GB storage, and more importantly comes pre-loaded with Ubuntu 18.04, a rarity in today’s low power mini PC world.
MINIX NEO Z83-4U Ubuntu mini PC specifications with bold highlights showing differences against NEO Z83-4 Pro model:
- SoC – Intel Atom x5-Z8350 “Cherry Trail” quad core processor @ 1.44 GHz / 1.92 GHz (Turbo) with 12 EU Intel Graphics HD graphics 400 @ 200 / 500 MHz (2W SDP)
- System Memory – 2 or 4GB DDR3L
- Storage – 64 GB eMMC 5.1 flash + micro SD slot
- Video Output
- HDMI 1.4 up to 4K @ 30 Hz
- mini DisplayPort (N.B.: an active adapter is required to convert Mini DP signal to HDMI or DVI)
- Audio I/O – HDMI, 3.5mm audio jack
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 4.2
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x USB 3.0 port
- Misc – Power button and LED, RTC battery, Kensington lock ready
- Power Supply – 12V/3A
- Dimensions – 12.7 x 12.7 x 4.0 cm (with VESA mount)
- Weight – ~350 grams
The mini PC ships with a WiFi antenna, a power adapter, an HDMI cable, a VESA mount, and a User Manual in English. I’ve been told the Ubuntu 18.04.1 image was made in collaboration with Ian Morrison (Linuxium) who published several mini PC reviews, and has made some good work helping to create Linux images that work on Intel entry-level mini PCs.
The company promotes MINIX NEO Z83-4U mini PC for commercial applications such as Digital Signage, POS and Thin Clients. The official launch will be on March 4th, 2019, but the mini PC is already sold on GeekBuying and Aliexpress for under $180, and you’ll also find out a cheaper MINIX NEO Z83-2U model with 2GB RAM instead in the same links.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|