We’ve been writing about Techbase Modberry industrial embedded computers with DIN-Rail enclosures such as Modberry M500 or M2000 for several years. Most of their systems are powered by SBC’s like Raspberry Pi 4 or AAEON Up Squared, but they’ve also made models based on Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3+, and with the launch of Raspberry Pi CM4, the company has now introduced Modberry 500 CM4 industrial computer powered by Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 with up to 8GB RAM and 32GB eMMC flash.
- SoM – Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 with Broadcom BCM2711 quad-core Cortex-A72 processor @ 1.5 GHz, 1 to 8GB RAM, up to 32GB eMMC flash.
- Storage – Optional NVMe SSD via PCIe 2.0 (mini PCIe or optional M.2 slot)
- Video Output – Optional HDMI port
- Optional Gigabit Ethernet port
- Optional Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n/ac) & Bluetooth 5.0
- Optional 5G, 4G/LTE, 3G, or NB-IoT modem plus on-board SIM card socket
- Optional LoRa or WM-Bus
- Optional GPS module
- Optional ZigBee, Z-Wave Ready
- Other ExCard modules
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port
- Serial – 2x RS-232 (3 pins) / 2x RS-485 (2 pins)
- I/O expansion ports via 32-pin screw terminal
- 4x Digital inputs (DI) (0..30V DC)
- 4x Digital outputs (DO) (0..30V), max. power efficiency: 500 mA
- 4x Analog inputs – range: 0..10V DC, 18-bit resolution
- 4x configurable DI/DO (0..30V DC), max. power efficiency: 500 mA
- 1x CAN (optional)
- 1x 1-Wire
- Misc – RTC, Watchdog timer, 2x monostable switch button
- Power Supply – 9 ~ 30 V DC (w/o modem: 20W, with modem: 40W) via 2-pin power header
- Dimensions – 106 x 91 x 61 mm (Casing ABS, DIN rail mounting)
- Weight – 350 to 400g depending on options
- Cooling – Passive (internal), active or passive (advanced)
- Temperature Range
- Standard – 0 ~ 55°C, humidity 5 ~ 95% RH (no condensation)
- Extended – -25 ~ 65°C, humidity 5 ~ 95% RH (no condensation)
As you can see from the specifications above, Modberry 500 CM4 is highly configurable, but the company provides three standard models with different I/O configurations namely 500 CM4 “Mini” with a single RS-232/485 port, the “Standard” version with two RS-232/485 ports, four DIO, one (mini) PCIe port, and optional HDMI, as well as a “Max” model adding four ADC, one extra PCIe interface, and optional CAN and/or HDMI.
Techbase provides firmware based on Linux Kernel 4.x, tools & pre-compiled packs including C/C++, JAVA, SQL, PHP, SSH, and VPN support, as well as developer tools and instructions. The system supports remote software updates, and the company’s iMod software platform and iModCloud – cloud computing service for telemetry, remote control and data sharing.
Typical applications for such systems include PLC, telemetry module / data logger, protocol and interface converter, programmable controller, MODBUS gateway, SNMP Agent, cellular router, edge IoT gateway, and more.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.