AAEON GENE-EHL5 is a 3.5-inch Subcompact board based on Intel Atom x6000E Series, Pentium, and Celeron “Elkhart Lake” processors with four M.2 expansion slots for wireless connectivity (5G, WiFi, etc…) and NVMe modules, as well as two Gigabit Ethernet ports.
The single board computer comes with one DDR4 SODIMM slot for up to 32GB IBECC memory, supports SATA and NVME storage, offers DisplayPort and HDMI, and eDP/LVDS video interface, as well as wide DC input from 9-36V, although there’s also a cost-down option for 12V DC input only.
AAEON GENE-EHL5 specifications:
- Elkhart Lake SoC (one or the other) with Intel UHD graphics
- Intel Atom x6425RE quad-core processor @ 1.90 GHz; 12W TDP
- Intel Atom x6425E quad-core processor @ 2.00 GHz / 3.00 GHz (Turbo); 12W TDP
- Intel Atom x6211E dual-core processor @ 1.30 GHz / 3.00 GHz; 6W TDP
- Intel Pentium J6426 quad-core processor @ 2.00 GHz / 3.00 GHz; 10W TDP
- Intel Celeron J6412 quad-core processor @ 2.00 GHz / 2.60 GHz; 10W TDP
- Intel Celeron N6210 dual-core processor @ 1.20 GHz/ 2.60 GHz; 6.5W TDP
- Other options by customer’s request: Intel Atom x6427FE, x6200FE, x6212RE, x6414RE, x6413E, or Celeron N6415
- Memory – Up to 32GB DDR4 @ 3200 MHz via one SODIMM slot (IBECC support for Atom parts)
- 32GB eMMC5.1 flash
- 1x SATA 3.0 connector plus 5V SATA power connector
- NVMe SSD via M.2 socket (see Expansion section)
- Display I/F
- HDMI 2.0b up to 4Kp60
- DP1.4 up to 4Kp60 or optional VGA port
- 18/24-bit dual-channel LVDS or optional eDP 1.3
- Optional 4/5/8-wire touch controller
- Support for 3 independent displays
- Realtek ALC269 audio codec
- Line-in/Line-out/MIC interfaces via audio header
- 2W speaker header
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 ports via Intel i210 controllers
- Optional WiFi, Bluetooth, 5G/4G model via M.2 sockets (see Expansion section) plus NanoSIM card slot
- USB – 2x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports, 4x USB 2.0 interfaces via headers
- 4x RS-232/422/485 interfaces
- 2x CAN Bus interfaces (Tx/Rx) except for Celeron J6412 and N6210 which lack CAN bus support
- Security – TPM 2.0
- 16-bit DIO/GPIO header with 8x inputs, 8x outputs
- 1x I2C/SMBus header (default is SMBus)
- 1x M.2 E-Key 2230 socket (PCIe, USB2.0)
- 1x M.2 B-Key 2242 socket (PCIe x2/PCIe x1 + USB2.0); default: PCIe x2, optional: SATA
- 1x M.2 B-Key 2280 socket (PCIe x1/PCIe x 2, USB2.0) Default: PCIe x1)
- 1x M.2 B-Key 3052 socket 1 (USB3.2 Gen2)
- Misc – UEFI BIOS, Wake-on-LAN, Watchdog timer, RTC + 3V/240mAh battery, 4-wire smart fan header, LEDs, power & reset buttons, buzzer
- Power Supply – +9-36V (Optional: +12V) via 2-pin Phoenix connector, AT/ATX type
- Power Consumption – Intel Atom x6425E with 32GB DDR4: 3.26A @ +12V (balance)
- Dimensions – 146 x 101.7mm (3.5-inch SubCompact board)
- Temperature Range – Operating: 0°C ~ 60°C, storage: -40°C ~ 80°C
- Humidity – 0% ~ 90% relative humidity, non-condensing
- MTBF – 335,427 hours
- EMC Certifications – CE/FCC Class A
AAEON GENE-EHL5 is basically a larger version of the company’s PICO-EHL4 Pico-ITX SBC with extra ports and sockets. It’s not the only 3.5-inch board equipped with an Elkhart Lake processor as wep previously covered the Avalue ECM-EHL and iBase IB836 single board computers with a different mix of features.
AAEON did not list any operating system in the (email) announcement but does provide Windows 10 64-bit and Ubuntu 20.04 drivers for the GENE EHL5 3.5-inch Elkhart Lake SBC. The system is made for edge AIoT applications that include 5G mobile edge computing (MEC), Ethernet-connected industrial equipment, IoV (Internet of Vehicles), and telematics applications.
Availability or pricing information has not been published for the board. Further details may be found on the product page with download links to BIOS, drivers, datasheet, and a user manual.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.