AAEON’s UP Bridge the Gap has announced the UP Element i12 Edge fanless embedded computer based on the Intel NUC 12 Compute Element and designed for the autonomous mobile robot (AMR) and industrial automation markets.
The computer is fitted with NUC 12 Compute Element equipped with 12th generation Alder Lake hybrid processor from Celeron 7350 to Intel Core i7-1255U hybrid processor, supports up to 32GB LPDDR5 memory, NVMe support, offers three Ethernet ports including one 2.5GbE, several USB ports, two RS232/422/485 interfaces, a DIO header, and more.
UP Element i12 Edge specifications:
- System-on-module – Intel NUC 12 Compute Element with:
- Alder Lake SoC (one or the other)
- Intel Core i7-1255U 10-core processor with 2x Performance cores @ up to 4.7 GHz, 8x Efficiency cores @ up to 3.5 GHz, Intel Iris Xe Graphics; PBP: 15W
- Intel Core i5-1235U 10-core processor with 2x Performance cores @ up to 4.4 GHz, 8x Efficiency cores @ up to 3.3 GHz, Intel Iris Xe Graphics; PBP: 15W
- Intel Core i3-1215U hexa-core processor with 2x Performance cores @ up to 4.4 GHz, 4x Efficiency cores @ up to 3.3 GHz, Intel UHD Graphics; PBP: 15W
- Intel Celeron 7305 penta-core processor with 1x Performance cores @ up to 1.1 GHz, 4x Efficiency cores, Intel UHD Graphics; PBP: 15W
- System memory – Up to 32 GB DDR5 memory
- Wireless – 802.11ax 2T2R WiFi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3 via Intel AX211 module
- Alder Lake SoC (one or the other)
- Storage – Optional via M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 X2 M-key
- AI accelerator – Optional via M.2 2280 socket
- Video Output – 1x HDMI 2.0b port, 1x DP 1.4 port, 1x DP 1.4 via USB Type-C port
- Audio – 3.5mm Mic-in jack, 3.5mm Line out jack
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port via Realtek RTL8111H controller
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port via Intel i219-LM controller
- 1x 2.5GbE RJ45 port via Intel i225-IT controller
- WiFi and Bluetooth on NUC 12 Compute Element
- Optional 4G LTE or 5G cellular connectivity via M.2 3052 module
- 2x USB 2.0 Type A
- 2x USB 3.2 Gen2 Type A
- 1x USB 3.2 Gen1 Type-C with DisplayPort Alt mode support
- Serial port – 2x RS-232/422/485 via 16-pin header
- Expansion slot
- 1x M.2 3052 B-key
- 2x M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 X2 M-key
- GPIO – Isolated 8 input/8 output header
- Security – Discrete TPM 2.0
- Misc – Power button, reset pinhole, UEFI BIOS with WoL and PXE support; RTC; watchdog timer
- Power Supply – 9-36V DC via 2.5mm Ø lockable connector
- Dimensions – 155 x 125 x 45 mm
- Temperature Range – Operating: 0°C to 60°C; storage: -40°C to 80°C
- Humidity – 0% ~ 90% relative humidity, non-condensing
- Vibration – MIL-STD-202G Method 213B,Table 213-I Condition A
- IEC 60068-2-6: 1G, 5-500Hz, 3 axes
- IEC 60068-2-64: Operating 5Grms, 5-500 Hz, 3 axes
- Certification – CE-RED, FCC Class A, UKCA DoC
- Longevity – 2027
AAEON/the UP community provides support for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, the Yocto Project 4.0.x, and Microsoft Windows 10/11 IoT Core. The Ubuntu image ships with OpenVINO, Media SDK, oneAPI, and ROS2 frameworks, as well as Intel AMR SDK and Intel Edge Insights for Industrial software package to provide solutions for AMR and industrial robotics applications in general.
The company also highlights some of the features missing in many competing AMR solutions with the UP Element i12 Edge offering enhanced shock and vibration resistance, a lockable power connector for improved reliability as well as optional I/O cable locks and shock absorbers.
The UP Element i12 Edge embedded computer is not available yet, with the product page only showing the device is “coming soon”.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.