Variscite has unveiled what they claim to be the world’s smallest i.MX6 SoM with DART-MX6, a 50x20mm system-on-module featuring Freescale i.MX6 dual or quad processor, up to 1GB RAM, up to 32GB eMMC flash, as well as a wireless module for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. Other small i.MX6 modules include TechNexion PICO-iMX6, or SolidRun microSoM found in Hummingbird board, and DART-MX6 has indeed the smallest area among the three.
- SoC- Freescale i.MX6 dual or quad core Cortex A9 processor up to 800 MHz with Vivante GC2000 3D GPU
- System Memory – 512 to 1024 MB LPDDR2 (PoP)
- Storage – 4 to 32GB eMMC flash, 4KB I2C EEPROM
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n + MIMO, Bluetooth 4.0 BLE (TI WL183xMOD WiLink)
- Audio Codec – Texas Instruments TLV320AIC3106
- Interfaces and I/Os via 2x 80-pin and 1x 50-pin board to board connectors
- Camera Interfaces – 1x CSI, 2x CPI
- Display – HDMI v1.4 up to 1920 x 1080; Dual 24-bit LVDS up to 1920 x 1200; 24-bit DSI up to 1920 x 1200
- Connectivity – 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet RGMII
- Audio – Headphone driver, digital microphone, S/PDIF, Line In/Out
- Storage – 1x SD / MMC
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 Host port , 1x USB OTG port
- 4x UART up to 3.6 Mbps, 2x I2C, 2x SPI
- 2x CAN bus
- RTC on carrier board
- PCI-Express Gen 2.0
- Power supply – 3.7 V DC input; Digital I/O voltage 3.3 V
- Dimensions – 50 mm x 20 mm x 4.0 mm
- Temperature range – Commercial (0 to 70°C), Extended (-20 to 70°C), or Industrial(-40 to 85°C)
The company provides support for the Yocto Project (Daisy with Linux 3.10.x), Ubuntu, and Android 4.4, and documentation and source can be found on DART-MX6 wiki with most links pointing to resources for their VAR-SOM-MX6 module so both are likely to be software compatible.
For evaluation and to speed early development, a development kit called VAR-DVK-DT6 can be used. It is composed of VAR-DT6CustonBoard baseboard populated with DART-MX6, a 7″ LCD display with capacitive touch, and relevant cables and accessories, as well as documentation and design package.
The baseboard has the following key features:
- Video / Display – HDMI 1.4 connector, 3-pair 18-bit / 4-pair 24-bit LVDS connector + 6-pin FFC/FPC connector for capacitive touch
- Audio – 3.5 mm jacks for headphone and Line IN, on-board digital microphone
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45)
- Storage – micro SD card slot
- Camera – Serial/MIPI CMOS sensor interface
- USB – 1x USB host port, 1x USB OTG port
- Expansion Connectors:
- 1x PCI express
- Serial ports – RS232 header, micro USB debug port, 1x CAN bus
- SPI, I2C
- UART, PWM, CLK02, DMIC
- Debugging – JTAG interface
- Misc – RTC with CR1225 coincell battery, 5 buttons, one boot select switch
- Power Supply – 5V (power barrel)
- Dimensions – 11.8 x 8.7 x 2 cm
According to the press release, DART-MX6 and the development kit are available now, but pricing information has not been released publicly. You can request a quote and find documentation only Variscite DART-MX6 SoM and VAR-DT6Customboard pages.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.